Meaning of namaste

Prabha Pillai

Feb 18, 2017, 9:56:52 AM2/18/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Can anyone help me with the meaning of namaste. Is it नमः ते? I bow to you?

विश्वासो वासुकिजः

Feb 18, 2017, 10:49:24 PM2/18/17
to samskrita

शनिवार, 18 फ़रवरी 2017 को 6:56:52 पूर्व UTC-8 को, Prabha Pillai ने लिखा:

Is it नमः ते?
yes. namas = A bow, salutation, obeisance, adoration;
ते = to you.

Prabha Pillai

Feb 19, 2017, 12:39:33 AM2/19/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thank you v much. I also thought so. But still wanted to clear my doubt.

Also I remember chinmayanandaji once referring to  namaste as  इदं न मम, to indicate thus is not me or mine.

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Feb 19, 2017, 11:34:44 AM2/19/17
to संस्कृतसन्देशश्रेणिः samskrta-yUthaH

Thank you v much. I also thought so. But still wanted to clear my doubt.

Also I remember chinmayanandaji once referring to  namaste as  इदं न मम, to indicate thus is not me or mine.

​There are multiple layers of meanings to one's u​utterances. The first is the literal meaning. Then there are the suggested meanings, which are not directly said, but are apparent to a sensitive listener. For example, if I point to a book and instruct my son "This is sarasvatI", the suggested meanings such as "Hence it is sacred, and must be treated with respect" are unsaid literally, yet suggested.

So, chinmayAnanda's sentiment is in the second layer.​

Vishvas /विश्वासः

Prabha Pillai

Feb 20, 2017, 12:47:04 AM2/20/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com