Fwd: Vision Document for Sanskrit development - MHRD Committee

विश्वासो वासुकेयः

Feb 12, 2016, 10:48:44 AM2/12/16
to संस्कृतसन्देशश्रेणिः samskrta-yUthaH
http://sanskrit.nic.in/2016_02_12_Vision_and_Road_Map_for_the_Development_of_Sanskrit_Ten_year_perspective_Plan..pdf इत्यत्राऽप्यस्ति

गुरुवार, 11 फ़रवरी 2016 को 9:26:20 पूर्व UTC-8 को, SRINIVASA VARAKHEDI ने लिखा:
Dear Colleagues,

You are all well-aware that a committee headed by Shri N Gopalaswamy, Rtd IAS and Former CEC, was constituted by Ministry of HRD to prepare a vision and roadmap document along with action plans for the development of Sanskrit in the nation. The committee submitted its report to Hon’ble Minister for HRD last week. I am herewith sharing the core part of that report - the vision document, which is the first part of the entire recommendation report.

It is open for your reviews. Kindly find the document herewith.

best regards,
shrinivasa varakhedi

First Install.rtf

G S S Murthy

Feb 16, 2016, 11:04:07 AM2/16/16
to sams...@googlegroups.com
I wish they had recommended that dictionaries from every Indian language to Sanskrit (Digital and print version) be got published in a time-bound manner as a project.
Regards,
Murthy

Anunad Singh

Feb 17, 2016, 1:12:39 AM2/17/16
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Murthi mahodaya,

Your proposal can prove to be a boon for (1) Sanskrit, (2) all Indian languages, (3) unity of India. This proposal is highly feasible too. Even this group can take this project for some of Indian languages. The dictionary sizes can be 1000 entries to 10000 entries to start with.

-- Anunad

=================

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 9:34 PM, G S S Murthy <murt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Boxbe This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (murt...@gmail.com) Add cleanup rule | More info

G S S Murthy

Feb 17, 2016, 6:15:52 AM2/17/16
to sams...@googlegroups.com
An excel sheet based project can be envisaged where different groups will work on different local languages simultaneously. However, we are a motley group with differing capabilities in our own languages and Sanskrit. Sustained time-bound efforts are required which we may not be able to put in. It is best done by Sanskrit Academy, which can select scholars and fund the project.
Regards,
Murthy

Anunad Singh

Feb 17, 2016, 7:44:07 AM2/17/16
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Which will be a better option to go for?
(1) Sanskrit to other Indian languages dictionaries, OR
(2) Other Indian languages to Sanskrit dictionaries?

G S S Murthy

Feb 17, 2016, 8:09:28 AM2/17/16
to sams...@googlegroups.com

By and large Sanskrit to other languages exist but not vice versa
Regards
Murthy

Anunad Singh

Feb 17, 2016, 11:46:48 PM2/17/16
to sams...@googlegroups.com
What about availability of these koshas in machine readable form (any font, legacy or Unicode, any script). I know of one Sanskrit-Hindi kosha available online in Unicode Devanagari.

I think that we can take help of suitably designed computer program to derive Indian language to Sanskrit kosha using these machine readable koshas.

Also, the भारतीय भाषा कोश ( 5000 entries ;  संस्कृत, हिंदी, पंजाबी, उर्दू, कश्मीरी, सिंधी, मराठी, गुजराती, बंगला, असमिया, ओड़िया, तेलुगु, तमिल, मलयालम, कन्‍नड़,  कोंकणी, नेपाली और मणिपुरी,   in देवनागरी लिपि)

and  तत्सम शब्दकोश ( 1600 entries; first column in Sanskrit, other 14 columns हिंदी, असमिया, उड़िया, उर्दू, कन्‍नड़, कश्मीरी, गुजराती, तमिल, तेलुगु, पंजाबी, बंगला, मराठी, मलयालम और सिंधी के तत्सम या तत्समवत् समानक ; in  देवनागरी लिपि )

published by केन्द्रीय हिन्दी निदेशालय can be useful. but id doubt if these these two books are available in machine readable format.

-- Anunad

G S S Murthy

Feb 18, 2016, 6:18:33 AM2/18/16
to sams...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure if program generated reverse koshas will be satisfactory. Same word, especially verb gives different meanings depending on the context. Can all such varied shades of meaning be adequately caught in a reverse kosha? The result should be something as good as Apte's Eng-Sans kosha.
Regards
Murthy

Rajam Srinivasan

Feb 21, 2016, 1:42:41 PM2/21/16
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Sir;

This is a great idea.  If the Education Departments/Ministries both at the center and state levels could be persuaded to encourage (with money and other resources) the Samskrut - teaching institutions (colleges, universities, PaaTHA shaalaas, Temples and Aashramaas etc) the project could be undertaken and completed in no-time.  Each institution can select one or two "varNa"s, (aksharaas) and compile the dictionaries for their selected portions (within an alloted time-span).  They could be ultimately "consolidated" into a delightful little volume with in say, 5 or 10 years.  Once such a preliminary document is on hand, we can keep on editing and adding to it, and continuously enrich it.

There is a small and beautiful dictionary -- Kannada to Samskrut/English, created by some one (sorry, forgot the name) who was a scholar of Kannada and Sanskrit and was a member of a family (if I recall correctly) connected with the Mysore Kings' Court's "Pandit Sabha" or Assembly of Scholars.

Perhaps many of the erstwhile Indian rayal families' archives/libraries have similar works strewn around (unpublished, of course) which could be discovered!

Regards

Feb 21, 2016, 1:42:59 PM2/21/16
to sams...@googlegroups.com
And I wish for monolingual dictionaries both learner's as well as advanced.

vishal jaiswal

Feb 21, 2016, 1:43:00 PM2/21/16
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Sanskrit to sanskrit

Anunad Singh

Feb 22, 2016, 6:21:10 AM2/22/16
to sams...@googlegroups.com
I think the target to complete these dictionaries should be less than ONE year and not 5 to 10 years. Also, these dictionaries need to be simple, by which I mean-

1) less than 20 thousand words,
2) only common words
3) No vyutpatti etc
4) targeting 10+2 level or less,
5) 'dominant' meanings only,
6) should be in Unicode text form, available for download and use on common digital platforms.

Somewhere I read that some Sanskrit dictionary project is running in a college in Pune which has managed to complete one letter only in last 55 years or so.

-- Anunad Singh