PH And F

Anand Ghurye

Feb 9, 2016, 11:21:43 AM2/9/16
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Dear Friends ,
Does Dant oshta (teeth touching lip) sound of F exist in Sanskrit ? Or is it always the oshta (lips touching ) ph  sound ?

Regards
Anand Ghurye

Shrivathsa B

Feb 9, 2016, 11:29:27 AM2/9/16
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH

hariH OM,

Our vaa~Nmaya has ph sound only. The f sound seems to be borrowed from the Persian / Islamic influence.

svasti,
       JAYA BHAVAANII BHAARATII,
                                                      shrivathsa.

Nagaraj Paturi

Feb 9, 2016, 11:30:43 AM2/9/16
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
'f' sound is not there in Sanskrit. Only 'ph'.

Under the influence of Urdu and English, some people pronounce 'ph' s in Sanskrit as 'f'

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education,

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )

Aniruddha Joshi

Feb 9, 2016, 2:35:01 PM2/9/16
to sams...@googlegroups.com
How about the so-called Upadhmaaneeya (voiceless bilabial fricative ([ɸ], (so says Wikipedia))? Does it not sound like "f"?

Thanks and Regards,
Aniruddha Joshi

ken p

Feb 9, 2016, 2:35:32 PM2/9/16
to samskrita
As per dictionary's IPA notations फ /f  , not ph

pharmacy phone photo physics
ˈfɑrməsi foʊn ˈfoʊˌtoʊ ˈfɪzɪks
faarmasi foun/fon foutou/foto fiziks

Shrivathsa B

Feb 9, 2016, 3:17:21 PM2/9/16
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH

upadhmaaniiya is a pure oShThya. There are people who pronounce it as 'f', but it is wrong.

Subrahmanian R

Feb 9, 2016, 9:37:33 PM2/9/16
to samskrita
Upadhmaaniya is pure oshthya. Apart from that, in Sanskrit a vowel cannot be combined after that. Similarly, the aspirate 'h' in English is defined as 'breathing upon a vowel' i.e. there cannot be 'h' not followed by a vowel in English. In Sanskrit, ha or other aspirated consonants like kha can occur not followed by a vowel also.

Due to the influence of English where ph and f sounds are same in some places, while transliterating Sanskrit to English, people use 'f' in place of proper 'ph' as in 'Prafulla' 'Fagun' in place of 'Phalguni' etc. I have come across the spelling 'prafulla' many times - I have not come across anyone writing as praphulla so far.

R Subrahmanian

ken p

Feb 11, 2016, 5:42:30 AM2/11/16
to samskrita
Is northern t sound same as  southern th sound?
Gujarati /Gujarathi