Sanskrit Is Fun! ​10 Sanskrit Coursebooks for Beginners

Manish Modi

Jun 11, 2016, 8:29:27 AM6/11/16

2012     30 x 21 cm     380 pages

Paperback     Rs. 400 for the set

Stories from the Mahabharata

Edited by Warwick Jessup & Elena Jessup

Set of 3 books

2016     30 x 21 cm     568 pages

Paperback     Rs. 1245 for the set

10 books for Rs. 2370    [4.5 kilos]

As a lover of Sanskrit it is extremely satisfying to see so many new books available for those who wish to learn Sanskrit. Especially for the youth, it is essential that textbooks are well presented and reader-friendly.

Here is a really fine set of 10 books for those who wish to learn Sanskrit. These books have been designed for use in the St James Schools in London but are perfectly suited for use by other students in other countries, including India.

These beautifully printed books are the ideal gift for anyone who would like to promote the study of Sanskrit, especially amongst the youth. These books are perfectly designed for Westerners and Indian students who have no exposure to Indian scripts and languages.

The books are well-graded and supported by appropriate illustrations that make them very attractive to the young. Today, many Indian schools as well as schools situated outside India offer Sanskrit studies. For such students, these books are the perfect means of making friends with Sanskrit. These books could be useful for those involved in the performing arts: theatre, dance and music, esp. singing. They  would be ideal for students of Yoga and Ayurveda.

The first group of three books titled ‘Sanskrit Is Fun’ introduces learners to the Devanagari script. Letters are grouped according to their place of articulation called ‘family’ comprising both vowels and consonants. Learners are first taught how to draw the letters. Learning is assisted by the fact that the letters are presented in the form of animal figures. The next step is to add vowel to the consonant. And then to teach joint consonants. Finally, words and sentences are formed.

The second group of four books seeks to teach Sanskrit with reference to the age old stories of Krishna and Rama. These stories which command an interest of their own are pressed into service to teach vocabulary, the formation of nouns and the conjugation of verbs in all three tenses. Adjectives and prepositions are also covered.

The third group of three books retells the epic Mahabharata in simple Sanskrit episodes which gradually develop a student’s knowledge of grammar. In each chapter, a theme which appears in the Sanskrit epic is also discussed. It makes sense for students to have completed studying the first two groups of books before starting these books.

By the time learners have completed this course, they will have a good basic grasp of the  Sanskrit language, its vocabulary, structure and grammar. These books are an attempt to teach Sanskrit in a simple and systematic manner that may well dispel the notion that Sanskrit is a difficult language.

This set of 10 books is superb for all those who wish to learn Sanskrit through the medium of English. We are happy and proud to promote this set along with other Sanskrit learning materials.

At Hindi Granth Karyalay, we have been delighting readers since 1912. We are committed to make the best writings on Jainism, Hinduism, Buddhism and South Asian Studies available all over the world. Which is why, besides our own publications, we stock and sell books from all the major publishers of India. At our bookstore, which is the oldest in Mumbai, we stock thousands of books on various topics such as religion, philosophy, Indology, literature, poetry, dramatics, art, self-help, yoga, children’s literature, alternative medicine, music, cinema and sports. We carry books in Hindi, English, Sanskrit, Prakrit, Pali, Apabhramsha, Gujarati, Urdu, Kannada and Marathi.

We have also begun to stock books like graphic novels, popular English novels, etc. We aim to be a one-stop bookstore that caters to different tastes.

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

1. We dispatch books after receiving payment.

2. How to pay us

We accept payments through Money Order and Demand Draft, Visa and MasterCard, NEFT and SWIFT. Else, if you live in India, you could simply deposit the money at any branch of Bank of India.

3. Shipping

In India we send books either by Registered Book Post or by surface transport.

Internationally, we ship books through FedEx, DHL, UPS, TNT, etc.

4. A list of our own publications

http://www.navelgazing.net/2013/03/a-list-of-our-publications_19.html

5. Directions: How to reach us

http://www.navelgazing.net/2013/04/directions-how-to-reach-hindi-granth.html

Best regards,

Manish Yashodhar Modi

हिन्दी ग्रन्थ कार्यालय

१९१२ से धर्म, संस्कृति तथा साहित्य की सेवा में

HINDI GRANTH KARYALAY

Serving Religion, Culture and Literature Since 1912

9 Hirabaug  CP Tank

Mumbai 400004

भारत

Telephones