Existing Constitutions in our past heritage

Subhash

Aug 31, 2014, 7:07:57 AM8/31/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com

While a discussion about translating the current Indian constitution is ongoing
( https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/samskrita/p2Z1TdeA1J4 );
I want to inquire if there are any existing constitutions from our rich heritage (probably in Sanskrit) that we've inherited.

When we hear साम्राज्यं भोज्यं स्वराज्यं वैराज्यं परमेष्टयं राज्यं महाराज्यं... what were the governing rules of these?

Ajit Gargeshwari

Sep 1, 2014, 1:02:08 AM9/1/14
to Samskrita Google Group
You may not find exactly the word constitution but various Dharma Shastras  Arthashstra and Niti shastra texts were law booksof the past and for personal laws many of them are still used with various amendments as per the constitution on India.
There is vast literature written on it you may want to refer to P.V. Kanes history of Dharma Shastra available at DLi and archives.org.

Regards
Ajit Gargeshwari
न जायते म्रियते वा कदाचिन्नायं भूत्वा भविता वा न भूयः।
अजो नित्यः शाश्वतोऽयं पुराणो न हन्यते हन्यमाने शरीरे।।2.20।।

Venkata Sriram

Sep 1, 2014, 2:43:28 AM9/1/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Namaste,

There is an elaborate ritual of invoking vaidika & tAntrika devatas for worshipping the “prajA-pratinidhi” (King) in those olden days.  This ritual is codified and compiled in the form of "rAjyAbhisheka kalpa".  Firstly, the simhAsana (the throne) of the king is worshipped and there are a set of tantrik & vaidika mantra prayogas for invoking the grace of raNa-chaNDika and other dEvatAs.  The devi's vAhana ie., simha (lion) which represents the "dharma dEvata" is invoked on all the 4 sides of the throne.  Typically, the throne also consists of the “simha” motifs on all the 4 sides.  These 4 simha motifs are worshipped and later the king is recharged with certain spiritual powers since the king represents the dharma mUrti in the form of Vishnu.  This is followed by the king's kula devata ArAdhana and Ayudha pUja.  All the ammunitions / arms are worshipped including the animals of king’s army like gO, ashwa, hasti etc.  This is followed by rAjyalakshmi upAsana.  After this, a shubha muhurta is decided and the king assumes the role of prajApati and sits on the throne.  During the paTTAbhishEka muhUrta, this mantra is chanted.

Unfortunately, this rAjyAbhisheka kalpa prayOga has become extinct now and nowhere to be seen.

Regs,

Sriram

Ajit Gargeshwari