Ahimsa Paramo Dharma

Anand Ghurye

Jul 22, 2016, 12:12:27 PM7/22/16
to sams...@googlegroups.com

​Dear Friends ,

This following shloka though is attributed to Mahabharata , does not seem to be there in Mahabharata .

Can anyone tell me as to where this shloka appears ?

Secondly is the first part , Ahimsa .... and the second  part match with the chandas of Mahabharata time ?

Ahimsa paramo dharmaha, dharma himsa tathaiva cha » Non-violence is the greatest dharma, so too is all righteous violence. – Mahabharata

​Thanks in advance. ​

Regards ,

Anand Ghúryé

*Training*Development*Synectics
Space Page : 9820489416

Sunder Hattangadi

Jul 22, 2016, 2:15:30 PM7/22/16
to sams...@googlegroups.com
ahi.nsA paramo dharmaH sarvaprANabhRRitAM smRRitaH |
tasmAtprANabhRRitaH sarvAnna hi.nsyAdbrAhmaNaH kvachit || 12|

ahi.nsA satyavachanaM sarvabhUtahitaM param |
ahi.nsA paramo dharmaH sa cha satye pratiShThitaH || 69||

ahi.nsA paramo dharma ityuktaM bahushastvayA |
shrAddheShu cha bhavAnAha pitR^InAmiShakA~NkShiNaH || 1||

ya eva dharmaH so.adharmo.adeshe.akAle pratiShThitaH |
AdAnamanRRitaM hi.nsA dharmo vyAvasthikaH smRRitaH || 8||

Jul 22, 2016, 2:39:22 PM7/22/16
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
dharma himsa tathaiva cha

comes from Swami Chinmayananda's lectures.

Any list member linked with that organization should be able to help.
--
Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education,

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )

Nagaraj Paturi

Jul 22, 2016, 2:51:31 PM7/22/16
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
Without "dharma himsa tathaiva cha ", it is quoted from Mahabharata:

e.g.

Anand Ghurye

Jul 23, 2016, 12:34:38 AM7/23/16
to sams...@googlegroups.com

These are circular references. Swami Chinmayananda's lecture says it is from Mahabharata but it is not in Mahabharata , not even in this context.

Nagaraj Paturi

Jul 23, 2016, 12:43:18 AM7/23/16
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
>Swami Chinmayananda's lecture says it is from Mahabharata but it is not in Mahabharata
-true. That is the reason, I said, (since Swami Chinmayananda who is now Brahmeebhoota can not come and defend) someone from Swami Chinmayananda's organization should be able to defend the reference.

Nagaraj Paturi

Jul 23, 2016, 1:27:33 AM7/23/16
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
When I say, it is not there in Mahabharata, I mean that I was not able to find the exact words in Mahabharata.

But the spirit of the words 'dharma himsaa tathaiva cha' can be defended to be not in contradiction with the spirit of the book Mahabharata which in turn is not in contradiction with the Vedic worldview that is in the upabrimhita form in the Panchama Veda.

Himsaa has two meanings : 1. Any violence in general   2. violence that is not justiciable (violence inflicted on the helpless innocent persons)

Violence (in the meaning of  any violence in general)  committed in order to punish or prevent a person resorting to violence that is not justiciable (violence inflicted on the helpless innocent persons)  is considered to be nonviolence 'ahimsaa' (nonviolence) only.

Kshatriya is viewed as the one who saves people from getting kshati. A kshatriya's violence is violence (in the meaning of  any violence in general)  committed in order to punish or prevent a person resorting to violence that is not justiciable (violence inflicted on the helpless innocent persons) and as such  is considered to be nonviolence 'ahimsaa' (nonviolence) only.

Kshatriya's violence is 'paritraaNaaya saadhoonaam vinaas'aaya cha dushkritaam'

Ahimsaa in the meaning of no violence of any kind

 and himsaa in the sense of violence (in the meaning of  any violence in general)  committed in order to punish or prevent a person resorting to violence that is not justiciable (violence inflicted on the helpless innocent persons) which in this sense is considered to be nonviolence 'ahimsaa' (nonviolence) only

are distributed among varNas and aas'ramas.

There are mantras in the Vedas ending in 'sugrichcha' and also those ending in 'maa himseeh'. This apparent contradiction gets resolved when the Vedic worldview is understood from the above described perspective.

But defending that the exact words are available in Mahabharata is what I leave to someone from Swami Chinmayananda's organization

J Dave

Jul 23, 2016, 7:09:08 PM7/23/16
to samskrita
If I remember correctly, this was one of the things told by, of all, DharmaVyadh to Kaushik.
Jagdip Dave