Rare Vishnu Hymn By Anga From Padma Purana

K.N.RAMESH

Nov 9, 2015, 10:46:45 AM11/9/15
Courtesy:Sri.K.Muralidharan Iyengar

Dear All,

Greetings and Namaste. As Deepavali is just a few days away, I would like to take this occasion to wish you, your family, kith and kin a very happy Deepavali and festivities. May The Festival of Lights Illuminate every facet of your life and bring the best in yourselves. May Lord Shower You With Dharmic Happiness all around!

In this connection, I am very happy to share a short but very beautiful prayer on Lord Vishnu by Anga taken from Padma Purana, Bhumi Khanda, Chapter 32 titled Anga Vara Pradanam. Anga was bestowed with the boon of progeny as a sequel to this prayer. Though there is no separate Phalashruti in the same chapter, the hymn is an exquisite prayer of surrender unto His Lotus Feet.

In Padma Puranam, Kriya Khandam and Chapter 3, Lord Narayana stipulates several characteristics and conditions of who can be termed as a Vaishnava Jana (i.e. a Vaishnavite) to Lord brahma. It is a long one running to pages but a few samples below:

- devoid of lust, anger, hurt (of others), hypocrisy, deceit, greed, infatuation, envy, etc.

- adheres to Shastras, Vishnu Puja with Tulasi, studies Vedas, performs vidya danam etc.

- sees Vishnu, Shiva and Brahma as equal (samAnaM ye ca pashyanti tvAM ca mAM ca maheshvaram)
- has intense devotion to Ganga, Ganga Snana and Ganga Mahatmya (ga~NgA snAna ratA ye ca ga~NgA nAma parAyaNAH | ga~NgA mAhAtmya vaktAro GYeyAs te vaiShNavA janAH || )

- one who does not abuse others (para nindA na kurvanti GYeyAs te vaiShNavA janAH ||)

- one who does NOT have hypocritical devotion but aspires for devotion to Shiva and observes Chaturdashi Vrata (pAkhaNDa bhakti rahitAH shiva-bhakti-parAyaNAH | caturdashI vrata ratA GYeyAs te vaiShNavA janAH ||)

Do we need to second-guess where ordinary mortals like us will measure in the above scale of bhakti, regardless of our education, leanings and practices? And can't we see how our sacred texts rubbish sectarian thoughts and beliefs emphatically and without fear or favor? A nonsense is a nonsense regardless how much esoteric we claim that to be. And can't we see that we can't create any short-cut to His Mercy and all are equal contenders for his mercy?

May The Festival of Lights dispel the darkness of our ignorance and Illuminate Us With True Knowledge!

Once again best wishes for great Deepavali Festivities.

Vishnu Stuti-Anga-Padma Puranam - ENG.pdf
Vishnu Stuti-Anga-Padma Puranam - KAN.pdf
Vishnu Stuti-Anga-Padma Puranam - TEL.pdf
Vishnu Stuti-Anga-Padma Puranam - MAL.pdf
Vishnu Stuti-Anga-Padma Puranam - TAM.pdf
Vishnu Stuti-Anga-Padma Puranam.pdf