मन्युः - anger

Rajagopalan Ayilam

Jun 21, 2016, 9:17:36 PM6/21/16
to samskrita

How is word मन्युः formed? Apte's dictionary gives मन् + युच्. How does this word get the meaning from the verb root मन्?

Taff Rivers

Jun 22, 2016, 8:57:33 AM6/22/16
to samskrita
Rajagopalan,

I suspect your information is at least secondhand.

Secondhand information is unreliable as things get lost in the translation!

Perhaps your source is the online GoldenDict?

I have Motilal Banarsidass's Student's Sanskrit English Dictionary of Apte in paperback,
 and cannot find  'मन् + युच्' . Can anyone correct me, here?

Anyway, GoldenDict actually reads मन् - युच्'  with the hyphen signifying a compound, not two separate words yet to be sandhied.

As has been pointed out, anger, is hardly the only meaning. Even GoldenDict gives:

मन्युः. मन्युः [manyuḥ], [मन्-युच् Uṇ.3.2]                 Where is this from?    मन्युः. मन्युः
    manyuH

मन्युः. Anger, wrath, resentment, indignation, rage; बाहुप्रतिष्टम्भविवृद्धमन्युः R.2.32, 49;11.46; नियमितमनोमन्युर्दृष्टा मया रुदती प्रिया Nāg.2.6.
    manyuH

मन्युः. Grief, sorrow, affliction, distress; निकृन्तन्मर्माणि क्रकच इव मन्युर्विरमति U.4.3; Ki.1.35; यास्यन् सुतस्तप्स्यति मां सुमन्युम् Bk.1.23; also 3.49.
    manyuH

मन्युः. Wretched or miserable state, meanness.
    manyuH

मन्युः. A sacrifice; प्रसहेत रणे तवानुजान् द्विषतां कः शतमन्युतेजसः Ki.2.23.
    manyuH

मन्युः. Spirit, mettle, courage (as of horses).
    manyuH

मन्युः. Ardour, zeal.
    manyuH

मन्युः. Pride.
    manyuH

मन्युः. An epithet of Śiva.
    manyuH

मन्युः. Of Agni. -Comp. -सूक्तम् the hymns of Manyu (Ṛv.1.83 and 84).

This makes more sense to me:

From the context of the text, our subject would appear to be a very angry and aggressive person, which leads us to appeal to Indra for protection.

Regards,
Taff