melody notation

Ludo Beckers

Jan 15, 2018, 3:23:52 PM1/15/18
to samskrita
Hi friends,
attached is a version of Gayatri mantra.

Can someone tell me how the notation of the melody is supposed to be interpreted?

Of course I do understand that the sound of a syllable notated on the lower line is supposed to be chanted with a lower frequency note than the ones on the middle and upper lines, but I don't see why there are black squares and white circles used. There's no connection for instance with laghu and guru of the syllables, so what can it possibly mean?
Thanks :-)
gayatri.png

Sunder Hattangadi

Jan 15, 2018, 10:19:55 PM1/15/18
to samskrita, Ludo Beckers

Sanskritweb.net               Rig-Veda 3:62:10

Inline image
=================================

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/gayathri-dhyanam/1250723185

Gayathri Dhyanam