Doubt: अविरोधितया कर्म नाविद्यां विनिवर्तयेत्।

RamanaMurthy Bathala

Jun 26, 2017, 8:39:37 AM6/26/17
to samskrita
Dear Sir,

I have come across the following verse in Atmabodha by Sri Sankaracharya.

अविरोधितया कर्म नाविद्यां विनिवर्तयेत्।
विद्याविद्यां निहन्त्येव तेजस्तिमिरसङ्घवत् ॥३॥

Meaning:Action cannot destroy ignorance, for it is not in conflict with or opposed to ignorance. Knowledge does verily destroy ignorance as light destroys deep darkness.

अविरोधित (adjective, past passive participle)= unobstructed;

Since अविरोधित is adjective, it will all the 8 cases, 3 numbers and 3 persons.

रमा (feminine, Nominal Base)-> रमया (feminine, Instrumental,Singular)
अविरोधिता (feminine, Nominal Base)-> अविरोधितया (feminine, Instrumental,Singular)

Since अविरोधितया is adjective it should be qualifying some noun in the sentence.I do not know which noun is being qualified by अविरोधितया . I assume it is describing either कर्म or अविद्या. But in sanskrit the adjective should have same case, number, gender as that of noun it describes. कर्म(कर्मन्) is neuter gender so I can rule out it. So अविरोधितया  is qualifying the feminine noun अविद्या. But the cases are not matching here. The word used in the sloka is अविद्याम् which is accusative case where as adjective अविरोधितया  is in instrumental case. Please clarify regarding the case mismatch.

Regards
Ramana murthy

Nityanand Misra

Jun 27, 2017, 1:15:34 AM6/27/17
to samskrita

On Monday, 26 June 2017 20:39:37 UTC+8, RamanaMurthy Bathala wrote:
Dear Sir,

I have come across the following verse in Atmabodha by Sri Sankaracharya.

अविरोधितया कर्म नाविद्यां विनिवर्तयेत्।
विद्याविद्यां निहन्त्येव तेजस्तिमिरसङ्घवत् ॥३॥

Please clarify regarding the case mismatch.

It is not adjective but an abstract noun, hence it does not need to qualify anything.

न विरोधः अविरोधः
अविरोधः अस्ति अस्य इति अविरोधि (कर्म्म)
अविरोधिनः भावः अविरोधिता
तया अविरोधितया

अविरोधिता इत्यत्र ‘तस्य भावस्त्वतलौ’ (५.१.११८) इत्यनेन तल्

कार्त्तिकेयः

Jun 27, 2017, 9:04:24 AM6/27/17
to samskrita
This looks like a तल् pratyaya construction, not a क्त construction - that makes अविरोधिता a noun, meaning "the state of not being in opposition to (something)"

(Other तल् constructions for reference - समता, ममता, प्रभुता etc.)

If I'm not mistaken, the क्त construction would be अविरुद्ध

RamanaMurthy Bathala

Jun 27, 2017, 11:23:52 AM6/27/17
to samskrita

Dear Sir,

I have referred the dictionaries:

अविरोधित(mfn)= not refused (Monier Williams Sanskrit-English Dictionary (2nd Ed. 1899)
अविरोधित (mfn)=(-तः-ता-तं) Unimpeded, unobstructed.(Wilson Sanskrit-English Dictionary (2nd Ed. 1832))

Both mentions that अविरोधित as an adjective. Also meaning-wise, unopposed karma, indicates that the word अविरोधितया (unopposed) is qualifying the noun कर्म (action). But कर्म  is a noun in neuter gender, nominative, singular where as अविरोधितया is an adjective in feminine gender instrumental case, singular. No where they are matching.

Regards
Ramana murthy

hnbhat

Jun 27, 2017, 1:44:32 PM6/27/17
to samskrita@googlegroups com

Why do you not refer to earlier replies which clearly explain the status of construction अविरोधितया?  Still you are hanging to your own explanation and wrongly stick to it?

Nityanand Misra

Jun 27, 2017, 6:31:55 PM6/27/17
to samskrita

On Tuesday, 27 June 2017 20:53:52 UTC+5:30, RamanaMurthy Bathala wrote:

Dear Sir,

I have referred the dictionaries:

अविरोधित(mfn)= not refused (Monier Williams Sanskrit-English Dictionary (2nd Ed. 1899)
अविरोधित (mfn)=(-तः-ता-तं) Unimpeded, unobstructed.(Wilson Sanskrit-English Dictionary (2nd Ed. 1832))

Both mentions that अविरोधित as an adjective. Also meaning-wise, unopposed karma, indicates that the word अविरोधितया (unopposed) is qualifying the noun कर्म (action). But कर्म  is a noun in neuter gender, nominative, singular where as अविरोधितया is an adjective in feminine gender instrumental case, singular. No where they are matching.

Dear Ramana Murthy

If Monier Williams (which is largely plagiarized from Boehtlingk-Roth) and Wilson gave you all the answers, you would not be asking such questions here. Such questions are best answered by grammar, and not by referring to dictionaries.

As Dr. Bhat says, please read all the responses carefully before arguing your position again. I have shown the full derivation of the form as applicable in this verse. Karttikeya has also given the correct response. What we are saying is that here (in this verse), अविरोधिता is not an adjective but an abstract noun. That does not mean अविरोधित is not an adjective.

If you still want to stick to your stand despite being shown the correct answers, nobody can help you.

RamanaMurthy Bathala

Jun 27, 2017, 10:05:56 PM6/27/17
to samskrita
Dear Sir,

Thank you for explanations.
As a beginner, I have limited knowledge of grammar. So, in the process of learning, I have to use dictionary. Since dictionary can not help beyond certain point, I have take help of scholars like you. Thanks for help.

Regards
Ramana murthy

कार्त्तिकेयः

Jun 28, 2017, 12:30:19 AM6/28/17
to samskrita
Yes, M-W does show अविरोधित as an adjective.  Let's assume such an adjectival form does exist.

What that means is that there are two homophones अविरोधिता, one of which is a feminine adjective, and one of which is an abstract noun, got by different methods of construction. Once you see अविरोधिता, you must then decide (somehow), which of the two homophones it is. One way is to look at the grammatical constraints that the sentence imposes. If it were a feminine adjective, it must qualify something which is feminine, as you have stated, and such a thing is not evident from the sentence. If it were a noun, no such constraint exists. Therefore, it is likely to be the noun.

As has been pointed out, dictionaries cannot show all the forms of words. Therefore, it is necessary to look at grammar, the various प्रत्ययs and how they affect all noun and verb stems to be able to look at a word and reason as to how it might have been constructed.

अभ्यंकरकुलोत्पन्नः श्रीपादः | श्रीपतेः पदयुगं स्मरणीयम् ।

Jun 28, 2017, 12:45:08 AM6/28/17
to samskrita
अविरोधितया = "अविरोधिता" इत्यस्य तृतीया विभक्तिः एकवचनम् |
अविरोधिता इति अविरोधि-इत्यस्मात् विशेषणात् तद्धितं भाववाचकं नाम | यथा
  • कृतज्ञ (विशेषणम्) => कृतज्ञता (भाववाचकं स्त्रीलिङ्गि नाम)
    • कृतज्ञत्वम् इदमपि भाववाचकं नाम, तथापि नपुंसकलिङ्गि |
  • सौम्य (विशेषणम्) => सौम्यता (भाववाचकं स्त्रीलिङ्गि नाम)
    • सौम्यत्वम् इदमपि भाववाचकं नाम, तथापि नपुंसकलिङ्गि |
  • आर्द्र (विशेषणम्) => आर्द्रता (भाववाचकं स्त्रीलिङ्गि नाम)
  • कृपण (विशेषणम्) => कृपणता (भाववाचकं स्त्रीलिङ्गि नाम)
    • कार्पण्यम् इदमपि भाववाचकं नाम, तथापि नपुंसकलिङ्गि |
विशेषणात् भाववाचकनाम्नां तद्धितसिद्धिः विविधा |

hnbhat

Jun 28, 2017, 2:41:16 AM6/28/17
to samskrita@googlegroups com

All made a mess by the questions.

Firstly he had to understand अविरोधितया cannot be adjective of कर्म as the gender and case ending do not agree.

Secondly, in spite of disagreement, he maintained his position and continued his arguments. Instead he should have considered the use of instrumental and its meaning.

Thirdly, he could have thought the possibility of अविरोधितया from विरोधी - अविरोधी
अवरोधिता, तया .. instead of ktanta suffix.

In the context the construction means by instrumental "because it (कर्म) is not opposed to (अविद्या)", like तेजः तिमिर light and darkness.