Anuswar confusion Which is correct pronounciation and according to which rule .

my.crys...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2016, 3:07:32 PM10/11/16
to samskrita
which pronunciation is correct and why . which grammatical rule is used.
अं > am / ang
ऐं > aim / sing
गं > gam / gang
सं > sam / sang
यं >  yam / yang
इं > im/ing
उं > um/ung
रं > ram/rang
क्लीं > klim/kling
हुं >hum/hung
मां > mam/mang
ह्लूं >hlum/hlung
ह्लौं >hlaunm/hlaung

problem is that i have heard a few way to pronounce them but I am unsure who is using correct way and who is not .

The only rule which I know is that of Hindi which does not fit with these and I am unaware about Sanskrit rules .

Please help me . More I searched and heard more Confused I became.

ken p

Oct 11, 2016, 5:15:57 PM10/11/16
to samskrita
Write as you pronounce Hindi is preferred anusvar free and with  म् न् for readable Roman transliteration.
These newly added ॅ ॉ sounds not found in Sanskrit text may replace lots on nasal sounds in speech

ैं /में>मॅ
मां >मॉ

half म् with p,f,b,bh and with m(some times) and half न् with rest of consonants.

अं > am / ang..........ambar.........
ऐं > aim / sing..........eim
गं > gam / gang.......gamble
सं > sam / sang........sant/samp
यं >  yam / yang.......svayamvar
इं > im/ing ...............din/dimpal
उं > um/ung..............uunt/uumf
रं > ram/rang............rang/rambha
क्लीं > klim/kling............climb
हुं >hum/hung..............हु ( one doesn't hear nasal in continuous speech)
मां > mam/mang..........prefer मॉ for teaching purpose
ह्लूं >hlum/hlung............ह्लू(one doesn't hear nasal in continuous speech)
ह्लौं >hlaunm/hlaung......ह्लौ(one doesn't hear nasal in continuous speech)

Taff Rivers

Oct 11, 2016, 6:58:04 PM10/11/16
to samskrita, Eddie Hadley
Your second column does not apply to nasalised vowels but to one of the five nasalised consonant sounds.

Anusvara relates to vowels. Your first column correctly lists the nasalised vowel sound.

On Tuesday, 11 October 2016 20:07:32 UTC+1, my.crys...@gmail.com wrote:
which pronunciation is correct and why . which grammatical rule is used.
अं > am / ang
ऐं > aim / sing
गं > gam / gang
सं > sam / sang
यं >  yam / yang
इं > im/ing
उं > um/ung
रं > ram/rang
क्लीं > klim/kling
हुं >hum/hung
मां > mam/mang
ह्लूं >hlum/hlung
ह्लौं >hlaunm/hlaung

Search for pronunciations of the Sanskrit alphabet  (not to Devanagari in general).

Taff,

my.crys...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2016, 7:16:57 PM10/11/16
to samskrita
Are you giving answer for hindi or sankrit .
I need answer know about Sanskrit in the context of beej mantra .
I am quite sure their pronunciation is different than that of standard hindi .

there is a mantra "ॐ ऐं ह्रीं क्लीं"
I have heard people pronounce is as
om eim hrim clim
and also
om aing hring cling

but i wish to know which one is correct .

as for chandra bindu and anuswar I know the difference and I also know the pancham varn rule of hindi .

अं > am / ang..........ambar......... but also angur becaude of pancham varn rule.

but what is real sound of अं as a varn . am or ang

my.crys...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2016, 7:17:18 PM10/11/16
to samskrita, eddie...@gmail.com
Are your sure it is m in case vowels ? I am talking about standalone varn and beej mantra . Not full fledge word .

ऐं > /eim/ not /eiŋ/

I am asking this question many learned people are speaking as

ऐं  as /eiŋ/ such as Narayan Dutt Shrimali .

Nagaraj Paturi

Oct 12, 2016, 12:53:36 AM10/12/16
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
Dear my.crystalflair,

to pronounce 'm' at the end in all these cases is correct as there is a need to produce naada sound with lips closed after the beejaakshara is pronounced.

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education,

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )

my.crys...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2016, 12:33:33 PM10/12/16
to samskrita
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ta9R7RjQ_E
50.15 to 50.45

he is clearly stating /eiŋ/ . Through out in his pravachan he is saying /eiŋ/ .
please enlighten me why is he doing so ?

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/samskrita.

Nagaraj Paturi

Oct 12, 2016, 1:34:45 PM10/12/16
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
Did you notice what is given in the brackets in the title of the video itself?

ऐं बीज साधना (Aim Beej Sadhana) by Dr. Narayan Dutt Shrimali

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/samskrita.

Nagaraj Paturi

Oct 12, 2016, 2:30:30 PM10/12/16
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
Paniniya Shikshaa is the book to be followed for such pronunciation related guidance. The book (verses 18-19) says that ऐ has कंठ्य followed by तालव्य . Which means Ay (A-y) is the right pronunciation and not ey.

my.crys...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2016, 11:53:17 AM10/13/16
to samskrita
yes i have noticed the title but the pronunciation is not according to the title .

my.crys...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2016, 11:53:40 AM10/13/16
to samskrita
i will look into that book thanks .

Taff Rivers

Oct 15, 2016, 11:24:55 PM10/15/16
to samskrita, Eddie Hadley
Could it be that you are concerned with It what is called antahstha or intermediate sounds in Sanskrit?

This is a term applied to the semivowels, as standing between the consonants and vowels,
the peculiar euphonic combination and pronunciation of letters which prevails in different Śākhās or branches of the Vedas.

As applied to bīja (and maha) mantras they are detailed the Prātiśākhya

However, it's probably simpler to listen directly to an audio of the particular bīja.

  Hope this helps,

Taff,

my.crys...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2016, 9:36:00 PM10/16/16
to samskrita, eddie...@gmail.com
Well I am just trying to learn how to properly pronounce bij mantra .
Indeed . If i can listen to authentic recorded version that would be great .
But what ever is present on you tube is causing confusion . hence I am looking for literature to get rid of this confusion.
for instance
ऐं > this mantra is pronounced as ang , and aim , now the question is which one is correct .
in this video dr. shrimali is clearly stating one should pronounce it as ang .
while there are many other video which is pronouncing it as aim .

thanks for input though .

विश्वासो वासुकिजः

Oct 18, 2016, 11:27:21 AM10/18/16
to samskrita
अनुस्वारः <--- अत्र धनञ्जयवैद्यकृतं ध्वनिमुद्रणं स्यादुपयोगाय।

मंगलवार, 11 अक्टूबर 2016 को 12:07:32 अपर UTC-7 को, my.crys...@gmail.com ने लिखा:

Sadagopan V

Oct 18, 2016, 11:30:05 PM10/18/16
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for the link to audio, the simple  way to indicate the pronunciation.

-- Sadagopan V