Doubts in ॐ भद्रं कर्णेभिः शृणुयाम देवाः

RamanaMurthy Bathala

Jun 22, 2017, 2:23:57 PM6/22/17
to samskrita
Dear Sir,

I have come across the Shanti Mantra:

ॐ भद्रं कर्णेभिः शृणुयाम देवाः ।
भद्रं पश्येमाक्षभिर्यजत्राः ।
स्थिरैरङ्गैस्तुष्टुवांसस्तनूभिः ।
व्यशेम देवहितं यदायुः ।

I have two doubts:
1)
कर्णेभिः = with the ears (ear)

But कर्ण is masculine word. Its instrumental plural is कर्णैः .
But in the sloka the inflected word used is : कर्णेभिः

2) व्यशेम = वि + अशेम = may (we) live
What is the tense or mood of the word अशेम? What is its root (धातु) and to which class it belongs? Is it आत्मनेपद or परस्मैपद?

I request someone to provide the answers to the above questions.
Thanks in advance.

Regards
Ramana murthy

ken p

Jun 22, 2017, 4:26:30 PM6/22/17
to samskrita

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Jun 22, 2017, 5:55:15 PM6/22/17
to samskrita
व्यशेम from वि+ अश् (A and P 1) = To reach, attain. First person, singular, optative mood.  Meaning of व्यशेम = 'May we attain'   (As later in the same hymn पश्येम.)

कर्णेभि: = कर्णै:, आर्ष प्रयोग.

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Jun 22, 2017, 6:02:58 PM6/22/17
to samskrita
Sorry, I meant 'Plural' in the above.

RamanaMurthy Bathala

Jun 22, 2017, 11:09:24 PM6/22/17
to samskrita
Dear Sir,

Thanks for the reply.

In your reply, you mentioned " अश् (A and P 1)". Does "1" mean it belongs to 1st class?

I have seen अश् belonging to 5th class as per Apte's Dictionary.

I do not know how to conjugate verbs. So I use the website "http://sanskrit.inria.fr/DICO/grammar.html" for getting the conjugated forms.

1. When I mention that it belongs to 1st class, I get the correct form अशेम in विधिलिङ्ग् (first person, plural)

2. When I mention that it belongs to 5th class, I get the different form अश्नुवीमहि in विधिलिङ्ग् (first person, plural).

I am confused here. Please clarify.

Regards
Ramana murthy

उज्ज्वल राजपूत

Jun 22, 2017, 11:37:53 PM6/22/17
to samskrita
अतो भिस ऐस् 7.1.9 इति भाषायां नित्यं कर्णैः इति।

बहुलं छन्दसि 7.1.10 इति च्छन्दसि क्वचिदप्रवृत्तिः। तत्र कर्णेभिः इति रूपं जायते।

hnbhat

Jun 23, 2017, 12:10:52 AM6/23/17
to samskrita@googlegroups com

Yes. It is used in different 1st class in Vedic usage.

I do not know how to conjugate verbs. So I use the website "http://sanskrit.inria.fr/DICO/grammar.html&quot; for getting the conjugated forms.

On Friday, 23 June 2017 03:25:15 UTC+5:30, Arvind_Kolhatkar wrote:
व्यशेम from वि+ अश् (A and P 1) = To reach, attain. First person, singular, optative mood.  Meaning of व्यशेम = 'May we attain'   (As later in the same hymn पश्येम.)

कर्णेभि: = कर्णै:, आर्ष प्रयोग.

RamanaMurthy Bathala

Jun 23, 2017, 12:50:44 AM6/23/17
to samskrita