How क्ष is derived?

K.N.RAMESH

Aug 2, 2015, 12:52:03 PM8/2/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
क् + ष  = क्ष  or
ख्  + ष = क्ष

Hnbhat B.R.

Aug 2, 2015, 11:12:15 PM8/2/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Usually क् + ष is considered as the combined form क्ष, unless otherwise required by contest.

KN.Ramesh

Aug 8, 2015, 9:25:21 AM8/8/15
to samskrita
Thanks Dr.Bhat sir. Think contest is a typo for context.
Request you to please give few examples along with contexts where  क्ष is coming as ख्  + ष.
The reason why asked is, since in many places of vedas,  क्ष, is pronounced as ख्  + ष.
Would like to know is it because of shiksha  ?

Hnbhat B.R.

Aug 8, 2015, 10:39:36 AM8/8/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com

I have not noticed. If you have noticed, please show such cases specifically with context.

Subrahmanian R

Aug 15, 2015, 8:23:13 PM8/15/15
to samskrita
Sirs,

I have observed that in some sections or by some scholars, ष. is pronounced as ख as for example

सहस्रशीर्खा पुरुख: instead of सहस्रशीर्षा पुरुष:

With respects

R Subrahmanian

On 8 August 2015 at 20:09, Hnbhat B.R. <hnbh...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have not noticed. If you have noticed, please show such cases specifically with context.

KN.Ramesh

Aug 15, 2015, 8:26:50 PM8/15/15
to samskrita
This is as per my ghanapaathi.
In the entire yajur veda, no where  क्ष  comes. Even if it comes, it has to be pronounced as  ख् + ष only because of the sutra which says, if क च ट त प is followed by श ष स  , then during pronouncing poorvagam dvittam comes and क  gets converted to ख.
examples, नक्षत्रं, सम्वथ्सरम्  etc, (Sorry I am not able to type ख् + ष  in the word nakshatram).
Would like to have more explanation on this.

In the veda books written in grantha, I have seen only  ख् + ष, nowhere  क्ष is seen, hence this doubt.

Hnbhat B.R.

Aug 15, 2015, 9:17:42 PM8/15/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com

The question was about क् + ष is pronounced as क्ष or ख्+ष?

And not whether ष is pronounced as ख. Anyhow it is a new know that ष in पुरुष is pronounced as ख. Anyhow I have not heard such pronunciation.

KN.Ramesh

Sep 4, 2015, 10:04:38 PM9/4/15
to samskrita

पदादौ पद मध्ये वा स्थितस्योश्म परस्य वै |
प्रथमस्य द्वीतीयं पूर्वन्कुर्वीत पण्डित: ||

(please ignore typo in the above sloka) As per this, the Ushmas श ,ष ,स  get doubled if they happen to come after varga prathamas, क,च,ट ,त,प irrespective of whether they come in the beginning,or middle or at the end.
Can some one get the source for this sloka? The pics are from Sri rudra ghanaadhyaaya: written by my Guruji Arya Somayajala Jagannatha rao ghanapaati.
He has learnt these from the salakshana vidwan sathanoor krishnamoorthi ghanapadigal who is no more now & the source is as per siksha sastram.