Fwd: Fw: [Indo-Eurasia] New book on Buddhist Sanskrit

శ్రీకర సాహా

Jan 16, 2017, 1:59:31 PM1/16/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com, sams...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Boris Aksenov <descend...@yahoo.com>
Date: 17 January 2017 at 00:17
Subject: Fw: [Indo-Eurasia] New book on Buddhist Sanskrit
To: sreeka...@gmail.com

--- On Sat, 14/1/17, Boris Oguibenine oguib...@gmail.com [Indo-Eurasian_research] <Indo-Eurasian_research@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> From: Boris Oguibenine oguib...@gmail.com [Indo-Eurasian_research] <Indo-Eurasian_research@yahoogroups.com>
> Subject: [Indo-Eurasia] New book on Buddhist Sanskrit
> To: Indo-Eurasian_research@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Saturday, 14 January, 2017, 10:50 AM

  Dear
  Colleagues,
  I am pleased to
  announce the appearance of my new book:
  Boris
  Oguibénine (University of Strasbourg, France),  A
  Descriptive Grammar of Buddhist Sanskrit.
  The language of the Textual Tradition of the
  Mahāsāṃghika-Lokottoravādins.
  General Introduction. Sound Patterns. Sandhi
  Patterns, 484 pp., 2016. Journal
  of Indo-European Studies Monograph 64, Institute for the
  Study of Man,  Washington DC.
  ISBN Hardback: 978-0-9983669-0-6ISBN Paperback: 978-0-9983669-1-3

  Summary

 This book is the first
  detailed
  description of the phonetics of Buddhist Sanskrit as shown
  in the textual
  tradition of the Buddhist sect known as Mahāsāṃghika-Lokottoravādins.
  The texts use the language which undoubtedly bears the marks
  of Middle Indian
  influence,  mostly of Pāli.
  However,  as widely recognized,  this language is not
  identical with Pāli
  or any other Middle Indian dialect. F. Edgerton’s pioneer
  grammar of this
  language (New Haven: Yale University Press,  1953),  which
  he called “Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit”
  allows only a limited space to its phonetics. The present
  book contains an
  analysis of the phonetic evidence of all available texts of
  the Mahāsāṃghika-Lokottoravādins.
  Several of them have been published after Edgerton’s
  demise,  and their data had necessarily to be
  incorporated in our analysis.

  Special emphasis is made on
  the fact
  that this language does not owe its shape to either Middle
  Indian dialect,  but is a language on its own,  with its
  own peculiar structural constraints
  and features.

          Particularly,  to account
  for its mixed nature,  all occurrences of sounds and their
  sequences
  are thoroughly examined with special attention to the
  alternations taking place
  within the texts and their layers,  probably pointing to
  the language habits of
  the speakers of different Middle Indian dialects,  which
  contributed to the production of the
  textual tradition that stood in the midway between
  Hīnayāna’s
  and Mahāyāna’s texts.

  The intricate problem of
  sandhi
  patterns is also given much attention as it is generally
  believed that these
  patterns were subject to no constraints
  whatsoever.

This
volume on the phonetics should be followed by further
volumes dedicated to
morphological and syntactic patterns of this
language.

Boris
OGUIBENINE