GoldenDict on Android?

Venetia Kotamraju

Aug 22, 2014, 2:35:56 AM8/22/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Namaste,
I have successfully downloaded the GoldenDict application with Apte, Monier Williams, Kalpadruma and Shabdakosha onto my laptop (as per the instructions on the Aupasana site).  However, I am trying to find out if I can do the same on my Android tablet. GoldenDict is available as an app on Android, but I can't seem to work out how to install the dictionary files in the app once the app has been downloaded.
Has anyone else tried this and can advise?
Thank you very much
Venetia

--
Venetia Kotamraju
+91 997230 5440

Shreevatsa R

Aug 22, 2014, 8:56:15 AM8/22/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
See the instructions at http://www.aupasana.com/software/stardict-android for using those dictionaries on Android. (Those instructions are for the "ColorDict" app, but the same stardict-format files that you must have downloaded for the GoldenDict application will work.)

lalitaalaalitah

Aug 22, 2014, 8:56:26 AM8/22/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com, Venetia Kotamraju
Download color dict on android.
Copy all the dict files to dictdata folder on internal memory of phone.
run color dict.

I hope these were mentioned on aupasana itself.
-----
lalitaalaalitah
www.lalitaalaalitah.com

Venetia Kotamraju

Aug 23, 2014, 12:53:50 AM8/23/14
to lalitaalaalitah, sams...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much for the help. I have successfully downloaded Colordict and the Monier Williams dictionary file (in Roman) on my Android tablet.  Is it possible to use the other dictionary files (Apte, Kalpadruma, Shabdakalpa) in Colordict too and if so does anyone have the hyperlinks that need to be used?
Thanks again

lalitaalaalitah

Aug 23, 2014, 2:12:58 AM8/23/14
to Venetia Kotamraju, sams...@googlegroups.com
You may use all dictionaries which you are using on PC in golden dict. Same files will work. Extract and place them in aforesaid folder.
I'm using almost all stardict files which aupasana website offers.

All links are available on aupasana website.
Download them.
Extract them.
Copy and paste in dictdata folder on internal memory of tablet/phone using USB connection with PC.

Someone posted link of instruction. Have a look.
I hope people are familiar with copying files to tablet/phone.

Now, Open colordict and it will scan all new dictionaries.

Golden dictionary doesn't allow use of more than 5 dictionaries on android, while colordict does not restrict use of more dictionaries. So, colordict was recommend.
-----
lalitaalaalitah
www.lalitaalaalitah.com

Shreevatsa R

Aug 23, 2014, 2:12:58 AM8/23/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com, Venetia Kotamraju
Yes, it is possible to use all those dictionaries in ColorDict. These are the links:

Monier-Williams Sanskrit-English dictionary:

VS Apte Sanskrit-English dictionary:

Others (all with Devanagari output):

I downloaded them directly through the ColorDict app, per the screenshots at http://www.aupasana.com/software/stardict-android
(Note: On Android 4.4, there are no issues with the Devanagari output.)

After they have been downloaded via ColorDict, they are also available in the GoldenDict app (the free version has a limitation of 5 dictionaries; ColorDict seems to allow arbitrarily many).

I wish to express my deep gratitude to Ajit Krishnan for making these dictionaries available.

Venetia Kotamraju

Aug 25, 2014, 11:26:16 PM8/25/14
to lalitaalaalitah, sams...@googlegroups.com
Thank you again for this help.  We were able to directly download the dictionary files using those web links and all seems to be working fine now on the tablet.

One more query - I installed GoldenDict on my teacher's laptop and it was working fine for the first couple of weeks. Now though he is getting an error/exception message which doesn't allow him to even open the application. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the programme but exactly the same error message appears.  I have posted on the GoldenDict forum in the hope someone there can lend technical support, but if we are not able to resolve it can someone here recommend a good alternative for Windows computers for GoldenDict?  As far as I can see ColorDict is only available for Android.

Thank you again

G S S Murthy

Aug 26, 2014, 1:39:37 AM8/26/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
I have a similar problem. Golden Dict worked fine with all dic apps on my older WinXP machine. But my new PC with Win7 accepts Golden Dict alright but only Wikipedia works. Other Sanskrit dic files show error message while unzipping.
Regards,
Murthy