श्लोकचतुष्टयम्

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Mar 12, 2014, 2:20:40 PM3/12/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dear Group,

The following verse is quite well-known:

काव्येषु नाटकं रम्यं तत्र रम्या शकुन्तला।
तत्राऽपि च चतुर्थोऽङ्कस्तत्र श्लोकचतुष्टयम्॥

I would be happy if some scholar in this Group can identify the four verses mentioned in it.

Arvind Kolhatkar, Toronto, March 12, 2014.

Sunder Hattangadi

Mar 12, 2014, 6:13:01 PM3/12/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
I believe these are 4 : #86, 89, 90, 91
Kanva/Kashyapa Rishi's  parting words to Shakuntala -

Att. files have the devanagari and Tr. by Monier-Williams -
[the last 2 lines of #91 are:
bhUyAtkusheshayarajomRRidureNurasyAH
      shAntAnukUlapavanashcha shivashcha panthAH ||91||

Kanva.
    Shakuntala must go to-day;
      I miss her now at heart;
    I dare not speak a loving word
      Or choking tears will start.
    My eyes are dim with anxious thought;
      Love strikes me to the life:
    And yet I strove for pious peace--
      I have no child, no wife.
    What must a father feel, when come
    The pangs of parting from his child at home?

Kanva. O trees of the pious grove, in which the fairies dwell,
    She would not drink till she had wet
    Your roots, a sister's duty,
    Nor pluck your flowers; she loves you yet
    Far more than selfish beauty.
    ’Twas festival in her pure life
    When budding blossoms showed;
    And now she leaves you as a wife--
    Oh, speed her on her road!
p. 46
Sharngarava (listening to the song of koïl-birds). Father,
    The trees are answering your prayer
      In cooing cuckoo-song,
    Bidding Shakuntala farewell,
      Their sister for so long.
Invisible beings.
    May lily-dotted lakes delight your eye;
      May shade-trees bid the heat of noonday cease;
    May soft winds blow the lotus-pollen nigh;
      May all your path be pleasantness and peace.
(All listen in astonishment.)

 A  scholarly article on Valmiki, Vyas and Kalidas

Regards,

sunder

Mar 12, 2014, 7:24:00 PM3/12/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com

   Here is another analysis :

4. The Four slokas:
4,1 There is some difference of opinion about the four most beautiful and appealing slokas mentioned in 3.1. Acording to South Indian school of pundits these slokas are 6,9,17 and 18 of Acct IV. According to Kale the four best slokas are  6, 18,19 and 20of the same Act.  As per commentator Satavadhana  the slokas 17,18,19,20 of the same Act are the best.
4.2.The beauty of expression and of meaning cannot be brought out in a  translation, however good, that too in a foreign language with a completely different cultural background.  However, the text of all the above slokas are reproduced here in Devanagari and Roman scripts with their free rendering in English.
यास्यत्यद्य शकुंतलेति हृदयं संस्पृष्टमुत्कंठया
कंठ: स्तम्भित बाष्पवृत्तिकलुषः चिन्ताजडं दर्शनम् ।
वैक्लव्यं मम तावदीदृशमहो स्नेहादरण्यौकसः
पीड्यन्ते गृहिणः कथं नु तनया विश्लेष दु:खैर्नवैः ॥।
Yaasyatyadya shakuntaleti hridayam samsprishtam utkanthhayaa
Kanthhah stambhita baashpavrittikalushah chintaajadam darshanam
Vaiklayam mama taavadeedrishamaho snehaat aranyaukasah
 Peedyante grihinah  katham nu tanayaa vishlesha dukhairnavaih     IV -6

The sage Kanva describes his emotions when Sakuntala is being sent to her husband’s place. He says:
“The very thought of separation from Sakumtala fills my heart with grief.  My throat is choked by the tears  I try to hold back.  My eyes have become inert as I am deep in thought. If this is the depth of sorrow of a forest-dweller like me because of my attachment, then how much will be the mental agony of those householders  at the prospect of separation from their newly wed daughters.?”
पातुं न प्रथमं व्यवस्यति जलं युष्मास्वपीतेषु या
नादत्ते प्रियमण्डनापि भवतां स्नेहेन या पल्लवम् ।
आद्ये वः प्रथमप्रसूतिसमये यस्या भवत्युत्सवः
सेयम् याति शकुन्तला पतिगृहं सर्वैरनुज्ञाप्यताम् ॥

Paatum na prathhamam vyavasyati jalam yushmaaswapeeteshu yaa
Naadatte priyamandanaapi bhavataam snehena yaa pallavam
Aadye vah prathhama prasootisamaye yasyaa bhavatyutsavah
Seyam yaati shakuntalaa patigriham sarvairanujnaapyataam  IV -9
Here Sage Kanva is addressing the trees, plants and creepers of the hermit in the following words:
“She who never wanted to drink water without watering you,  she who had such love and affection for you that she never plucked your flowers or leaves  though she was fond of adorning herself, she  for whom your first flowering or bearing fruit was a celebration, that Sakuntala is going to her husband’s palace.  May you all bid her farewell and good bye.”
अस्मान् साधु विचिन्त्य संयमधनानुच्चै: कुलं चात्मन-
स्त्वय्यस्या कथमप्यबान्धवकृताम्  स्नेहप्रवृत्तिं च ताम् ।
सामान्यप्रतिपत्तिपूर्वकमियं दारेषु दृश्या त्वया
भाग्यायत्तमतःपरं न खलु तद्वाच्यं वधूबन्धुभिः ||
Asmaan saadhu vichintya samyamadhanaanuchchaih kulam chaatmana-
Stwayyasyaah kathamapyabaamdhava kritaam snehapravrittim cha taam
Saamaanyapratipattipoorvakamiyam daareshu drishyaa twayaa
Bhaagyaayattamatah param na khalu tadvaachyam vadhoobandhubhih  IV-17
This is the message of Kanva to Dushyanta concerning Sakuntala:
“Considering us hermits whose only wealth is  tapasya , your own  birth in a noble family,  the love of Sakuntala for you in bringing about which her relatives had no role,  you,  as her husband,  should  give her an equal status and love  among your wives.  Anything beyond this will depend on her bhaagya or luck, the relatives of the bride have no say about that. “
शुश्रूषस्व गुरून् कुरु प्रियसखीवृत्तिं सपत्नीजने
भर्तुर्विप्रकृतापि रोषणतया मा स्म प्रतीपं गमः
भूयिष्ठं भव दक्षिणा परिजने भाग्येष्वनुत्सेकिनी
यान्त्येवं गृहिणीपदं युवतयः  वामाः कुलस्याधयः
Shushrooshaswa guroon kuru priyasakheevrittim sapatnee jane
Bharturviprakrutaapi roshanatayaa maa sma prateepam gamah
Bhooyishtthham bhava dakshinaa parijane bhaagyeshwanutsekinee
Yaantyevam grihineepadam yuvatayah vaamaah kulasyaadhayah  IV-18
This is the advice of Kanva to Sakuntala:
“Listen to your in-laws and elders and serve them, look upon the other wives of the King as your dear friends, even when you get angry with your husband keep your cool and do not act on impulse, be generous with your servants, do not be conceited about your good fortunes.  By following these dictums you will acquire the status of a true housewife.  Those who do the opposite cause great mental agony to the family.
अभिजनवतो भर्तुः श्लाघ्ये स्थिता गृहिणीपदे
विभवगुरुभिः कृत्यैस्तस्य प्रतिक्षणमाकुला ।
तनयमचिरात् प्राचीवार्कं प्रसूय च पावनं
मम विरहजां न त्वम् वत्से शुचं गणयिष्यसि ॥
Abhijanavato bhartuh shlaaghye sthhitaa grihineepade
Vibhavagurubhih krityaistasya pratikshanamaakulaa
Tanayamachiraat praacheevarkam prasooya cha paavanam
Mama virahajaam na twam vatse shucham ganayishyasi   IV-19
Establishing yoursef as the laudable grihini (housewife) of your husband of noble birth,  always being excited about the weighty matters of state in wich he is engaged and having given birth to a son before long like the Sun by the East, you shall not, my dear,  worry about my pangs of separation from you.
भूत्वा चिराय चतुरन्त महीसपत्नी
दौष्यन्तिमप्रतिरथं तनयं निवेश्य
भर्त्रा तदर्पित कुटुंबभरेणसाकं
शान्ते करिष्यसि पदं पुनराश्र्मेऽस्मिन्
Bhootwaa chiraaya chaturantha mahee sapatnee
Daushyantimapratiratham tanayam niveshya
Bhartraa tadarpita kutmbabharena saardham
Shaante karishyasi padam punaraashramesmin  IV-20
Remain long as the sapatnee (co-wife) of Mahee (the whole of earth  personified, being figuratively another wife of the King). Give birth to Dushyanta’s son who will later become a king of unmatched valour.  Vest  in him the responsibilities of the family and the kingdom. Then will you again come back to this peaceful  hermitage with your husband.

G S S Murthy

Mar 13, 2014, 2:13:30 AM3/13/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for providing link to Mr.Shesendra sarma's scholarly article.
Regards
Murthy

iragavarapu narasimhacharya

Mar 13, 2014, 7:29:31 AM3/13/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
श्लोक एवमस्ति भोः---यथा--"काव्येषु नाटकं रम्यं,नाटकेषु शकुन्तला।
                                   तत्रापि च चतुर्थोऽङ्कः,तत्र श्लोकचतुष्टयम्॥
श्लोकः १.
यास्यत्यद्य शकुन्तलेति हृदयं संस्पृष्टमुत्कंठया
कण्ठस्तम्भितबाष्पवृत्तिकलुषं चिन्ताजडं दर्शनम्।
वैक्लब्यं मम तावदीदृशमहो स्नेहादरण्यौकसः
पीड्यन्ते गृहिणः कथं नु तनयाविश्लेषदुःखैर्नवैः॥
श्लो॥२.
पातुं न प्रथमं व्यवस्यति जलं युष्मास्वपीतेषु या
नादत्ते प्रियमण्डनापि भवतां स्नेहेन या पल्लवम्।
आद्ये वः कुसुमप्रसूतिसमये यस्या भवत्युत्सवः
सेयं याति शकुन्तला पतिगृहं सर्वैरनुज्ञायताम्॥
श्लो॥३.
अस्मान् साधु विचिन्त्य संयमधनानुच्चैः कुलं चात्मन
स्त्वय्यस्याः कथमप्यबान्धवकृतां स्नेहप्रवृत्तिं च ताम्।
सामान्यप्रतिपत्तिपूर्वकमियं दारेषु दृश्या त्वया
भाग्यायत्तमतःपरं न खलु तद्वाच्यं वधूबन्धुभिः॥
श्लो॥४
शुश्रूषस्व गुरून् कुरु प्रियसखीवृत्तिं सपत्नीजने
भर्तुर्विप्रकृतापि रोषणतया मा स्म प्रतीपं गमः।
भूयिष्ठं भव दक्षिणा परिजने भाग्येष्वनुत्सेकिनी
यान्त्येवं गृहिणीपदं युवतयो वामाः कुलस्याधयः॥
अभिवाद्य,
ऐवियन्।

Sunder Hattangadi

Mar 14, 2014, 4:26:45 PM3/14/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
In this connection it is also worth remembering the 'sUryA vivAha' Riks from Rig-Veda 10:85.

The discussion in the thread

is also fascinating.

Regards,

sunder