An alternative to Sanskrit Dictionary Updater for Android

विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)

Nov 24, 2015, 11:22:53 AM11/24/15
to Sandeep Nangia सन्दीपो नङ्गियः
bcc: Sudhee सुधीः आस्टीनीयः, sanskrit-programmers <sanskrit-p...@googlegroups.com>, संस्कृतसन्देशश्रेणिः samskrta-yUthaH <sams...@googlegroups.com>

namaste!

Many people had informed me that Sanskrit dictionary updater does not work for them. Good news for them (excerpted from https://github.com/nangia/pydictupdater ) :

An alternative for Sanskrit Dictionary Updater

StarDict is a cross-platform and international dictionary software. Using StartDict or other apps that work with the StarDict dictionary format, one could use this for a dictionary of various languages.

Vishvas Vasuki (@vasukeya on Twitter) and others have compiled a nice set of dictionaries that work with StarDict compatible apps for SanskritKannadaPali and Hindi. Thus, one could use a StarDict compatible app like GoldenDict which can be used for these dictionaries. The process would be to install GoldenDict and then install and run Sanskrit Dictionary Updater (again written by Vishvas) and then rescan dictionaries from within GoldenDict App.

However, I have had problems running Sanskrit Dictionary Updater on my phone recently. Hence, I just wrote this as an alternative way to download these dictionaries to your Desktop computer or to Android for myself. Note you may not need this and Sanskrit Dictionary Updater might just work for you very well. But, I needed this for myself so wrote this.