Gotra of those who are converted to Hinduism

RamanaMurthy Bathala

Sep 25, 2017, 2:25:42 AM9/25/17
to samskrita
Dear Scholars,

How is the Gotra of those who changed religion to Hinduism is decided?
Without Gotra, how can archana be performed in temples?

Regards
Ramana murthy

Rahul Vedi

Sep 25, 2017, 7:46:03 AM9/25/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Murthy mahaabhaaga

You remind me of the upnishad story of Satyakaama Jaabaalaa.
He was one with undetermined gotra and he wanted to enter the aashrama for learning.

regards
Rahul

ken p

Sep 25, 2017, 7:50:03 PM9/25/17
to samskrita

Nagaraj Paturi

Sep 25, 2017, 11:04:10 PM9/25/17
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
Kasyapa gotram as per shastras.

Shaastras say when gotra is not known it has to be taken as Kasyapa  gotra.

Logic given there is that all people are of Kasyapa"s lineage.

Prabhakara Das

Sep 26, 2017, 7:25:13 AM9/26/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Rajesh Benjwal

Sep 26, 2017, 7:25:14 AM9/26/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Namaste,

Kashyapa gotra.

DhanyavAdAH

Nagaraj Paturi

Sep 28, 2017, 7:24:19 AM9/28/17
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
If the गोत्रम् is not known ? Say काश्यपसगोत्रः --

हेमाद्रौ चन्द्रिकायां च --

गोत्रस्य त्वपरिज्ञाने काश्यपं गोत्रमुच्यते ।
यस्मादाह श्रुतिस्सर्वाः प्रजाः कश्यपसंभवाः।

from

from

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra

BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala

FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education,

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )

RamanaMurthy Bathala

Sep 28, 2017, 1:51:33 PM9/28/17
to samskrita

Dear Scholars,

Thanks for the information.

Let us assume that Gotra (गोत्र) stands for lineage. If I say my Gotra is Baradwaja, it means I belong to Rishi Baradwaga lineage and my ancestors are some how connected to Rishi Baradwaga.

There are two cases: Gotra is not known (i.e. forgotten) and the second one Gotra does not exist.

Case 1: Gotra is not known. That means I have forgotten my Gotra. Suppose that I belong to Baradwaja Gotra, I forgotten my Gotra, then I can be considered as Kashyapa Gotra. It means some how I/my ancestors belonged to one or other Rishis lineage. Here no problem. My Genes in blood are matching with one or other of the ancient Rishis. One more instance is the case of conversion. Suppose 4 generations back, my great grand fathers were converted from Hindu to Non-Hindu religion. Now if I converte back to Hindu, my Gotra can be considered as Kashyapa, since I do not know the Gotra of my great grand fathers. But, some how my roots are connected to the ancient Rishi. In both the instances, Gotra is known, but which Gotra is not known. Hence attaching kashyapa Gotra to me not an issue.

Case 2: Gotra does not exist: I am a foreigner and a Non-Hindu. Came to India. And converted to Hinduism. In this case, no way my Genes are connected to any one of the ancient Rishis. Still, am I considered Kashyapa Gotra?  In the replies provided, it is mentioned that Kasyapa Gotra is to considered, when Gotra is not known (i.e., Gotra exist, but which Gotra is not known). What should be done in case of Gotra does not exist as in this second case.

Regards

Ramana murthy

Nagaraj Paturi

Sep 28, 2017, 4:51:59 PM9/28/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Prajaah sarvaah means all people.

Gotra is the belief / tradition of "the Hindus".  ' Sarvaah prajaah kas'yapasambhavaah' is also their belief / tradition. Their belief /tradition is not that only those belonging to or born into "Hinduism" are Kas"yapasambhavaah. Their belief is that all creatures are born from Kas"yapa. While not being a Hindu , one does not know / does not consider that one is born of Kas"yapa. But once converted to Hinduism, he comes to know that he is born of Kas"yapa.

In any ritual there is no portion where the Purohit , without making the person say " I, belonging to such and such gotra", mentions the gotra, all by himself. So, gotra is based on the belief of the person performing the ritual. Once a person gets converted to Hinduism, he comes to know / believe that he is Kas"yapasambhava.

Thus it is not wrong to say that the gotra of a person getting converted to Hinduism is of Kas"yapa gotra.

सीताराम

Sep 28, 2017, 6:01:43 PM9/28/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Why not use Panini rules to determine Gotra name base on Grandfather's name. Few examples,
इतिकस्य गोत्रापत्यम् इति ऐतिकायन:
वतण्डस्य गोत्रापत्यं वतण्डी
--
धन्यवाद: - राम