Re: vaimAnika shAstra

Animesh

Jan 15, 2015, 12:49:01 PM1/15/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Sri mAtre namaH

Namaste ,

Sir , In first mail on vaimAnika shAstra , I have attached English translation , in previous mail I have attached a link to original treatise.

Is link not working ? Let me know

Regards
Animesh

Anand Ghurye

Jan 16, 2015, 5:20:36 AM1/16/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com

The link is working . The book on aviation is listed at the end of the page .

Sai Susarla

Jan 16, 2015, 5:43:25 AM1/16/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Just curious. Does the approach presented in this work have any original ideas not explored elsewhere? And does it work?
If yes, from a science perspective why does it matter whether it was written in 19th century AD or BC ? Other than for either chest-beating or proving our ancients were truly ignoramuses w.r.t. material nature as we firmly want to believe?

Let's say, a modern author wants to repudiate the credit to some ancient person, because either (a) he felt inspired by the ancient or (b) otherwise people won't even read his work. What is our problem there as readers?

G S S Murthy

Jan 16, 2015, 6:59:23 AM1/16/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Sri.Sai Susarla that readers should not have any problem in reading what is being presented as a text.
When a work is presented to us as being that of Bhardwaja Muni, the question of who this Bharadwaja Muni is comes up. He has to be a Muni belonging to Bharadwaja Gotra. Did he live in 20th century or a distant past? Such questions are never asked by Sanskrit traditionalists because , as is well known, traditionalists do not believe in historical research. For them past is just an amalgam of incidents and events. It does not matter to them who lived when and who came first and who came later.
Now coming to the point of what this vaimanika shastra contains, a group of engineers and scientists has already passed an opinion that the models presented are aerodynamicaly meaningless and impractical.
Perhaps the text is at best a masterly fake in the sense that it imitates well how an ancient would have written such a technical text.
Regards
Murthy

Hnbhat B.R.

Jan 16, 2015, 7:31:45 AM1/16/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
The first one that comes in the second group is Vedic Mathematics,
named traditionally ascribe many mathematical problems as found in
Veda-s as the name suggests, whereas it is quite questioned by the
scientists and many others curious that they are the creation of the
Swamyji who presented them as Vedic, with his mathematical skill and
not actully based on them.