About Sandhi...

Sinu S

May 8, 2018, 4:40:03 PM5/8/18
to samskrita

Two words that confuse me are सङ्कर (blending together, mixture)  and संस्कार (refining, polishing).

Both words are made of joining सं and कर. Can someone shed light on what sandhi rules are used in formation of the words ?

Thanks much
Sinu

Hnbhat B.R.

May 8, 2018, 8:05:00 PM5/8/18
to sams...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018, Sinu S <sinu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Two words that confuse me are सङ्कर (blending together, mixture)  and संस्कार (refining, polishing).

Both words are made of joining सं and कर. Can someone shed light on what sandhi rules are used in formation of the words ?

सङ्कर and संकर both are correct. Ashtadhyayi 8|4|58 अनुस्वारस्य ययि परसवर्णः  is optional in this case due to पदान्तस्य । (८/४/५९).
It does not operate in the second and in addition here operates  "संपरिभ्यां करोतौ भूषणे" ६।१।१३७ adding स् in between सं  and कर.

Thanks much
Sinu

S. L. Abhyankar

May 9, 2018, 11:03:25 AM5/9/18
to sinu...@gmail.com, samskrita
नमस्ते श्रीमन् शीनू(श्रीनिवासन्?)-महोदय !

In संस्कार there is an additional स्.
  • Grammatical name of this additional स् is सुँट् (स् उँ ट्)
  • Out of स् उँ ट्
    • ट् gets dropped by हलन्त्यम् (1'3'3) and तस्य लोपः (1'3'9)
    • उँ gets dropped by उपदेशेऽजनुनासिक इत् (1'3'2) and तस्य लोपः (1'3'9)
    • What we are left with is स्.
This स् which comes in as additional or extra one, is called as (सुँट्+आगम =) सुँडागम,

At which place it comes in is explained by सुँट् कात् पूर्वः (6'1'135) i.e. before क्

When it comes in is explained by सम्परिभ्याम् (or सम्पर्युपेभ्यः) करोतौ भूषणे (6'1'137)
  1. सम्परिभ्याम् = in the presence of सम् or परि
    • OR सम्पर्युपेभ्यः = in the presence of सम् or परि or उप
  2. करोतौ (कृ + ओत् = करोत्; करोतौ is प्रथमा द्विवचन of करोत् similar to मरुत् मरुतौ मरुतः)
    • OR करोतौ can be taken as सप्तमी एकवचन of करोति, meaning "in the instance of the action being करोति"
  3. भूषणे = the action करोति should result in positive effect.
When all the three conditions are satisfied, there will be the extra स् before क्.

That is why the word संस्कृत also has सुँडागम. The language संस्कृत has the premise of positive effect (!)

Hope, this helps.

G S S Murthy

May 9, 2018, 12:02:39 PM5/9/18
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Congrats Abhyankarji for your lucid explanation. You have a tight grip over grammar.
Regards,
Murthy

Hnbhat B.R.

May 9, 2018, 12:34:35 PM5/9/18
to sams...@googlegroups.com
करोतौ is not द्विवचन of करोत् which has no meaning, but it is सप्तमी एकवचन of करोति, which means the root कृ as per the वार्त्तिकम् – इक्श्तिपौ धातुनिर्देशे इति वक्तव्यम्। under 3-3-108 which means when the root कृ is used. The total meaning will be: When the root कृ is used after the upsarga-s सम्, परि/उप, meaning to adorn भूषण it will get सुट् as explained by Abhyankar.

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018, S. L. Abhyankar <sl.abh...@gmail.com> wrote:
नमस्ते श्रीमन् शीनू(श्रीनिवासन्?)-महोदय !

In संस्कार there is an additional स्.
  • Grammatical name of this additional स् is सुँट् (स् उँ ट्)
  • Out of स् उँ ट्
    • ट् gets dropped by हलन्त्यम् (1'3'3) and तस्य लोपः (1'3'9)
    • उँ gets dropped by उपदेशेऽजनुनासिक इत् (1'3'2) and तस्य लोपः (1'3'9)
    • What we are left with is स्.
This स् which comes in as additional or extra one, is called as (सुँट्+आगम =) सुँडागम,

At which place it comes in is explained by सुँट् कात् पूर्वः (6'1'135) i.e. before क्

When it comes in is explained by सम्परिभ्याम् (or सम्पर्युपेभ्यः) करोतौ भूषणे (6'1'137)
  1. सम्परिभ्याम् = in the presence of सम् or परि
    • OR सम्पर्युपेभ्यः = in the presence of सम् or परि or उप
  2. करोतौ (कृ + ओत् = करोत्; करोतौ is प्रथमा द्विवचन of करोत् similar to मरुत् मरुतौ मरुतः)
    • OR  can be taken as सप्तमी एकवचन of करोति, meaning "in the instance of the action being करोति"
  1. भूषणे = the action करोति should result in positive effect.

Sinu S

May 9, 2018, 4:48:30 PM5/9/18
to samskrita

This is what I was looking for. Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge respected hn bhat and abhyankar sir.

S. L. Abhyankar

May 9, 2018, 8:16:08 PM5/9/18
to hnbhat B.R., sams...@googlegroups.com
नमस्ते भट-महोदय !
When I was thinking of करोतौ as द्विवचन of करोत्, I was wondering whether करोत् is संधि of कृ+ओत्.

As has been discussed, कृ is certainly relevant for सुँडागम.

Is ओत् also meaningful and relevant ? That was what I was deliberating upon.

If both कृ and ओत् are relevant and meaningful, then द्विवचन also becomes justified.

Just putting forth loud thinking.

Sivakumari Katuri

May 9, 2018, 9:15:09 PM5/9/18
to sams...@googlegroups.com, sinu...@gmail.com

On May 9, 2018 8:33 PM, "S. L. Abhyankar" <sl.abh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> नमस्ते श्रीमन् शीनू(श्रीनिवासन्?)-महोदय !
>
> In संस्कार there is an additional स्.
> Grammatical name of this additional स् is सुँट् (स् उँ ट्)
> Out of स् उँ ट्
> ट् gets dropped by हलन्त्यम् (1'3'3) and तस्य लोपः (1'3'9)
> उँ gets dropped by उपदेशेऽजनुनासिक इत् (1'3'2) and तस्य लोपः (1'3'9)
> What we are left with is स्.
> This स् which comes in as additional or extra one, is called as (सुँट्+आगम =) सुँडागम,
>
> At which place it comes in is explained by सुँट् कात् पूर्वः (6'1'135) i.e. before क्
>
> When it comes in is explained by सम्परिभ्याम् (or सम्पर्युपेभ्यः) करोतौ भूषणे (6'1'137)
> सम्परिभ्याम् = in the presence of सम् or परि
> OR सम्पर्युपेभ्यः = in the presence of सम् or परि or उप
> करोतौ (कृ + ओत् = करोत्; करोतौ is प्रथमा द्विवचन of करोत् similar to मरुत् मरुतौ मरुतः)

अत्र तु परसप्तमी अतः कथञ्चिदपि अर्थः वक्तुं न शक्यः आर्य!