Devanāgarī app for a Tablet

john.ba...@bigpond.com

Dec 14, 2013, 6:33:29 PM12/14/13
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

This is a follow up to my post a couple of days ago. Thanks to Eddie Hadley for replying! Things have changed since my previous post.

I am keen to downsize from a laptop to "a laptop within the body of a tablet". I thought first of getting a MS Surface Pro 2 running Windows 8.1. I have since learned that the machine only has WI-FI capability which doesn't suit me. I require cellular as well.

QUESTION: Is anyone able to write Sanskrit in both roman script as well as devanāgarī on a tablet? If so what is the device and the operating system (Apple, Android, Windows) and what app are you using?

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am starting my second year of Sanskrit at the Australian National University (ANU) in February. I will need an app that functions quickly similar to iTranslator 2003 which I currently use on my laptop under Windows 7. For a typical assignment there may be 15 sentences which must be transliterated from devanāgarī into roman script and then translated into English and another 15 vice versa. Thus, I need a fairly 'powerful' tool which will allow me to generate Sanskrit and not simply some app which after an hour I am able to send someone a short e-mail.

Thanks for you assistance.

सीताराम

Dec 14, 2013, 7:08:48 PM12/14/13
to sams...@googlegroups.com
I could write on my iPad
Settings - International - Keyboards - Hindi

धन्यवाद: - राम

उदयनः (Udayana)

Dec 16, 2013, 8:41:42 AM12/16/13
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Panini Keypad (Android)

Iti Bhavadeeyaha

Udayanaha
94810 26366

jivadas

Dec 16, 2013, 11:34:55 PM12/16/13
to sams...@googlegroups.com
My Samsung Tab has an android roman/devanagari keyboard that uses a modified Harvard-Kyoto transliteration.

Jagannatha s

Dec 17, 2013, 12:54:00 AM12/17/13
to sams...@googlegroups.com
I-leap

Aurobind Padiyath

Feb 18, 2014, 7:01:34 AM2/18/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
If you have an Android, like me, You can use Google keyboard and switch to Hindi as an additional language and it supports both Sanskrit and Hindi.

Jiva Das

Feb 23, 2014, 12:46:21 AM2/23/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
A beautiful app that works on PC and Android is Lipikaar:

The above link provides an online editor, and a trial download The price is about $20.00 for the PC version. The android trial is free.

Lipikaar uses a remarkable intuitive system for entering Sanskrit on an English keyboard, and allows you to switch between English and Sanskrit. I highly recommend it.

xØx
 jd

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 11:34 PM, jivadas <das....@gmail.com> wrote:
My Samsung Tab has an android roman/devanagari keyboard that uses a modified Harvard-Kyoto transliteration.

santoSaH paramo lAbhaH satsaGgaH paramA gatiH |
vicAraH paramaM jJAnaM zamo hi paramaM sukham ||

सन्तोषः परमो लाभः सत्सङ्गः परमा गतिः।
विचारः परमं ज्ञानं शमो हि परमं सुखम्॥
Contentment is the highest gain, Good Company the highest course,
Enquiry the highest wisdom, and Peace the highest enjoyment.
                             -- Yoga Vasishtha

The complete YVFiles of this masterpiece can be found at