Source of न चोरहार्यं ..... विद्याधनं सर्वधनात् प्रधानम्

shankara

Aug 30, 2014, 12:12:58 PM8/30/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Namo vidvadbhyah

Please help me to locate the source the following subhashita -
चोरहार्यं न च राजहार्यं न भ्रातृभाज्यं न च भारकारी । व्यये कृते वर्धते एव नित्यं विद्याधनं सर्वधन प्रधानम् ॥

Assuming that it is from Niti Satakam of Bhartihari, I searched it, but could not find this verse in Nitisatakam. Subhashita Ratna Bhandagara Khemraj edn mentions that this subhashita is from Panchatantra. But, I could not find it in Panchatantra too.

Subhashita Ratnakara compiled by Krishnasastri Bhatwadekar gives a text named 'Sabhataranga' as the source of this book. But, I couldn't get any more info on this book or verse. Any help to reach the source of this verse, will be highly appreciated.

regards
shankara

Hnbhat B.R.

Aug 31, 2014, 4:36:56 AM8/31/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 9:42 PM, 'shankara' via samskrita <sams...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Namo vidvadbhyah

Please help me to locate the source the following subhashita -
चोरहार्यं न च राजहार्यं न भ्रातृभाज्यं न च भारकारी । व्यये कृते वर्धते एव नित्यं विद्याधनं सर्वधन प्रधानम् ॥

Assuming that it is from Niti Satakam of Bhartihari, I searched it, but could not find this verse in Nitisatakam. Subhashita Ratna Bhandagara Khemraj edn mentions that this subhashita is from Panchatantra. But, I could not find it in Panchatantra too.

सुभाषितरत्नभण्डागार compiled by  Kashinatha Sharma, gives the source as  प्रसंगाभरणम् ---

Inline image 1

Inline image 2
 The above is the source given in the above. The above source itself an anthology and the original source could not have been available.

Subhashita Ratnakara compiled by Krishnasastri Bhatwadekar gives a text named 'Sabhataranga' as the source of this book. But, I couldn't get any more info on this book or verse. Any help to reach the source of this verse, will be highly appreciated.

Some times, it also may be another anthology or a part of an anthology like the above.

Sabhataranga 1885 Sanskrit Devnagari DSO0000110110 200

The above gives the information, but seems to be a manuscript. It might have been pubished or not. No more details.

shankara

Aug 31, 2014, 7:39:43 AM8/31/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Bhat Sir,