Pradakshina

KN.Ramesh

Mar 2, 2017, 11:39:20 AM3/2/17
to samskrita
Pradakshina means towards right.

antonymn is apradakshina that does not mean towards left.

can we say pravaamam to mean towards left?

Hnbhat B.R.

Mar 2, 2017, 11:04:06 PM3/2/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 12:57 PM, KN.Ramesh <knra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Pradakshina means towards right.
>
> antonymn is apradakshina that does not mean towards left.

What does mean?

> can we say pravaamam to mean towards left?

Where do you get such meaning?

Taff Rivers

Mar 4, 2017, 6:15:20 AM3/4/17
to samskrita, Eddie Hadley
KN.

Without restricting matters to Jainism's perspective.

   The Sanskrit IAST rendering of your word is 'pra-dakṣiṇa'.

It is especially applicable to the direction of circumambulation of sacred places

As such, the contrary sense would be 'pra-savya'.

Taff,
   ( R & D person)

  From the MW:

    pra-dakṣiṇa
•  mf(ā)n. moving to the right, ŚāṅkhGṛ.
•  standing or placed on the right (with √ kṛ, or pra-√ kṛ, 'to turn towards persons or things so as to place them on one's right', 'turn the right side towards' as a token of respect), Mn. MBh. &c.
•  auspicious, favourable, MBh. R.
•  respectful, reverential, MBh.
•  (am), ind. from left to right, so that the reverential side is turned towards a person or object, AV. &c. &c. (also ibc.; cf. comp. below.
•  with √ kṛ and pra-√ kṛ as above).
•  towards the south, Mn. Var. (eṇa ind. = am in both meanings, BhP. Var.).
•  m. (ā) f. and n. turning the right side towards, circumambulation from left to right of a person or object (gen. or comp.; with √kṛ or √1. dā dat., gen. or loc.) as a kind of worship, R. Kathas. Pañcat. RTL. 68, 2; 145 &c. [679,1]

      pra-savya
•  mfn. turned towards the left, to the left side (am, ind.; opp. to pradakṣiṇa, q.v.), GṛŚrS. R.
•  contrary, reverse, L.
•  favourable, L. [697,2]