Harry Potter in Sanskrit

Irene Galstian

Jan 28, 2017, 8:36:29 PM1/28/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
I did not think of this myself, I promise. This is a question of my colleague's 11 year old son. I have Harry Potter in Latin, but no amount of searching turned up a Sanskrit translation.

Have you ever come across such a thing? Or maybe other well-known English books translated into Sanskrit (books that this young man would understand)?

Taff Rivers

Jan 30, 2017, 10:29:09 AM1/30/17
to samskrita, Eddie Hadley
Irene,

   There can't be too many 11 year old's in the world that are au fait in Sanskrit. !!??

   However, as you would expect from India, Hindi versions there are, a'plenty.

   Here's a mono lingual example, safe* to download:

*but, be very wary of other such offerings though, many are hacked and will trick you into being ransomed etc.- unless you have one of them long spoons with which to sup.

  Hope this helps.

Taff Rivers,

   R&D person, Information Technology, retd.

  ( I love the smell of bytes in the morning.)

Irene Galstian

Jan 30, 2017, 1:49:42 PM1/30/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com, Eddie Hadley
Thanks, Taff, I saw that one too. Since posting the question I searched quite a bit more. Now fairly certain that Harry Potter doesn't exist in Sanskrit (yet). It's a pity: think of all the cute coinages that'll be needed to make such a translation! :-)
I think the boy's request is reasonable though: if he gets a Sanskrit version of a book he already knows, that'll make the book more valuable as a language study aid. Either that or Ilya Frank's adaptation method, which is also quite effective. Checked Frank's offerings, but their Sanskrit adaptation is available only in Russian.
Will keep looking.
If the members of this list see something suitable, please post your sightings.

Kinds regards,
Irene

उज्ज्वल राजपूत

Jan 30, 2017, 1:54:36 PM1/30/17
to samskrita
If the child has not yet read Harry Potter in any language then there is a problem as he might need to wait very long because the book is not yet translated into Sanskrit.

Otherwise, if he as already read it and just wants to read it in Sanskrit, too, you can take your time and translate the book into simple Sanskrit for him.

By the way, a number of plays of Shakespeare have been translated into Sanskrit long time ago and are in public domain.

विश्वासो वासुकिजः

Feb 4, 2017, 7:22:01 PM2/4/17
to samskrita
There are well known Indian sanskrit books with both an english translation and simplified sanskrit editions suitable for children (eg: panchatantra, hitopadesha), if that helps.

शनिवार, 28 जनवरी 2017 को 5:36:29 अपर UTC-8 को, Irene Galstian ने लिखा:

SriKanth!

Feb 9, 2017, 4:49:44 AM2/9/17
to samskrita
I would love to read Harry Potter in Sanskrit. I am neither child nor I have read Harry Potter series :)

Here is sherlock holmes

Irene Galstian

Feb 9, 2017, 7:25:54 AM2/9/17
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thank you! Bought several copies immediately.