Which English font carries diacritic marks accurately on email?

Manish Modi

Apr 12, 2015, 9:42:02 AM4/12/15
to Googlegroup Sanskrit

|| ॐ ह्रीं श्रीपार्श्वनाथाय नमः ||

|| Auṃ Hrīṃ ŚrīPārśvanāthāya Namaḥ ||

Jay Jinendra

Dear friends,

Through trial and error I have discovered that Tahoma is the only font that takes all the diacritic marks correctly and does not get distorted when used on email, esp. on yahoogroups.

However, Tahoma is an ugly font.

Is there any other font for diacritics which is commonly accessible and does not get distorted on email or yahoogroups?

Best regards,

Manish Yashodhar Modi

हिन्दी ग्रन्थ कार्यालय

१९१२ से धर्म, संस्कृति तथा साहित्य की सेवा में

HINDI GRANTH KARYALAY

Serving Religion, Culture and Literature Since 1912

9 Hirabaug

CP Tank

Mumbai 400004

भारत

Telephones

+91 22 2382 6739

+91 98208 96128

Email

jain...@aol.com

Venetia Kotamraju

Apr 12, 2015, 9:54:19 AM4/12/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Hi manish
I use gentium and its variants. It is an elegant font and supports all sanskrit diacritics plus others.
Best venetia

Taff Rivers

Apr 12, 2015, 3:52:41 PM4/12/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Manish,

   Be careful here.

The persons that receives e-mails must have suitable fonts available locally at his end. Otherwise the content won't  render correctly.

For example, this Forum:  https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/samskrita itself only supports six fonts, natively.
(To see them, click on  'Normal' on the Menu Bar  when in Post mode):

     Normal (Arial)

     Normal/serif (Arial MT)

     Courier New

    Georgia

    Trebuchet

    Verdana

Should the person who posts the e-mail, do so via a copy & paste at his end, where he has his own fonts, all will look good to him.

The forum automatically forwards e-mails, no matter how or where created.

The person(s) viewing the e-mail, whether in a forum or offline in a mailer, will need suitable fonts at his/her end, especially so, when wanting to see Vedic accents and such like.

That Tahoma font you mention, is indeed plain, but as san serif, it is meant to be.

Taff Rivers

Manish Modi

Apr 13, 2015, 10:58:39 AM4/13/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dear Venetia and Taff,
Jay Jinendra

Thanks very much!

I appreciate your guidance, Venetia. Gentium does not appear accurately on gmail.

Taff, I get your point.

So I am still looking for a universally applicable solution.

Best regards,
Manish

Taff Rivers

Apr 16, 2015, 10:48:31 PM4/16/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Manish,

"So I am still looking for a universally applicable solution."

For this forum, the native Georgia font has diacritics, including anglicised capitals.

Georgia is native to Windows, and will be available locally to the viewer.

Otherwise you could take a look at Chandas from

http://www.sanskritweb.net/cakram/

It is designed especially for Vedic and Classical Sanskrit.

But add a note within the text (using plain Latin characters!), that best results are obtained when viewed with said font.

Bearing in mind that your carefully crafted communication will not look very pretty to Chandas deficient forum members in general.

  Taff Rivers