Why in the verse word भूमौ in saptamī?

Mandala Pati

Jan 13, 2015, 11:00:48 AM1/13/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
This is a verse from bhāgavata purāṇa, 10.7.19

भूमौ
निधाय तं गोपी
विस्मिता भार-पीडिता
महा-पुरुषम् आदध्यौ
जगताम् आस कर्मसु

As I understand, भूमौ it is a karma. (Yaśodā placed Kṛṣṇa on the ground). Kṛṣṇa is an object of mother's activity. It supposed to be in dvitiya vibhakti.
Where am I wrong? If You can refer to Panini sutra(s) it will be appreciated.
Thanks.

   Word-For-Word Meanings
bhūmau—on the ground; nidhāya—placing; tam—the child; gopī—Mother Yaśodā; vismitā—being astonished; bhāra-pīḍitā—being aggrieved by the weight of the child; mahā-puruṣam—Lord Viṣṇu, Nārāyaṇa; ādadhyau—took shelter of; jagatām—as if the weight of the whole world; āsa—engaged herself; karmasu—in other household affairs.

   Translation (by ISKCON BBT)
Feeling the child to be as heavy as the entire universe and therefore being anxious, thinking that perhaps the child was being attacked by some other ghost or demon, the astonished Mother Yaśodā put the child down on the ground and began to think of Nārāyaṇa. Foreseeing disturbances, she called for the brāhmaṇas to counteract this heaviness, and then she engaged in her other household affairs. She had no alternative than to remember the lotus feet of Nārāyaṇa, for she could not understand that Kṛṣṇa was the original source of everything.

As I understand, भूमौ it is a karma. (Yaśodā placed Kṛṣṇa on the ground). Kṛṣṇa is an object of mother's activity. It supposed to be in dvitiya vibhakti.
Where am I wrong? If You can refer to Panini sutra(s) it will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Hnbhat B.R.

Jan 15, 2015, 12:17:27 AM1/15/15
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Why do you come up with the idea of the object according to your fancy?

Panini has laid some descriptions of karma and adhikarana and some other parts of speech or kaaraka vibhakti-s according to which the usages could be justified.

What made you think bhumi is the object? According to Panini, it is adhikarana, or the location where she places the Krishna, and hence it takes saptami even for the common English sentence she places Krishna on the ground.

If you want any information, please ask the specific information you want to  know without wandering here and there.