vibhakti and karak

Prakash Pandey

Jun 10, 2018, 3:37:17 AM6/10/18
to samskrita
I was taught in school to remember:

1. The subject of the sentence: प्रथमा

2. The object: द्वितीया

3 The object of "by":  तृतीया

4. The object of "to": चतुर्थी

5. The object of "from": पञ्चमी

6. The object of "of"; षष्ठी

7. The object of "in, on, at": सप्तमी

Does this list need any revision?

Prakash

S. L. Abhyankar

Jun 10, 2018, 5:06:38 PM6/10/18
to Prakash Pandey, samskrita
नमस्ते श्रीमन् प्रकाश-पाण्डे-वर्य !
You may find my article on "Adverbs in Sanskrit" linked here relevant and interesting.

Taff Rivers

Jun 10, 2018, 8:53:10 PM6/10/18
to samskrita
slabhyankar,

   I'm afraid that discourse of yours does not pass an English Grammar examination, any more that your Sanskrit does.

“in the morning” is not an adverbial phrase. It is is a prepositional one.

'parts of speech are not classes of words'. Parts of speech are indeed classes of words!

For remedial study, a simple dictionary is all that's required.

Just take a look at what Webster's has to say about 'in' and 'part of speech'.

Taff Rivers

Nagaraj Paturi

Jun 11, 2018, 12:13:36 AM6/11/18
to samskrita
Dear Sri Praksh-ji,

Your list is almost correct . But "Object of" is not required.

Thus you might want to have the list as

1. The subject of the verb in the sentence: प्रथमा

2. The object: द्वितीया

3 For  "by":  तृतीया

4. For  "to"/"for" : चतुर्थी

5. For  "from": पञ्चमी

6. For  "of"; षष्ठी

7. For  "in, ": सप्तमी

-------

This is OK to begin with.

But the usages of Vibhaktis are more and you will have to learn them from a good grammar book.

Panini gives all the sutras. Your Sanskrit grammar book may quote those sutras.

S. L. Abhyankar

Jun 11, 2018, 10:50:53 AM6/11/18
to samskrita
Dear Mr. Taff Rivers,

I am surprised to read that the complete phrase "in the morning" is not adverbial, but prepositional !

If that is what is to be learnt as English grammar, I certainly do not want to pass any examination in such kind of English grammar.

Taff Rivers

Jun 12, 2018, 10:07:45 AM6/12/18
to samskrita
slabhyankar,

   Should you refer to The authority on matters of English grammar, namely The Oxford University Press,
you will learn the vital difference between types of phrases and the function they perform.

The phrase itself is is a prepositional one.
Its function may be adjectival or adverbial, depending on the role in plays in a sentence.

Remembering that an adjective modifies a noun or pronoun.
and an adverb modifies a verb, adjective or another adverb,

There is the slight matter of the non-existant sentence with which to come to a conclusion..

In any case, 'in the morning' is actually an idiomatic phrase,
and the adverb, when required is 'mornings'.

"If that is what is to be learnt as English grammar, I certainly do not want to pass any examination in such kind of English grammar"' iti slabhyankar.

If you have no formal qualifications in English, let alone in the teaching profession, your postings and bloggings serve only to pour darkness upon the Sanskrit faculties.

Taff_Rivers

krishna kaushik

Jun 12, 2018, 10:08:19 AM6/12/18
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dear Abhyankar mahaabhaagaH
Many subscribers - including me - appreciate your work greatly and learn from it.
I am grateful that you have been providing learning material of such a high quality.

I hope that you shall continue to help many learners like myself.

best regards
Krishna

Nagaraj Paturi

Jun 13, 2018, 12:57:19 AM6/13/18
to samskrita
> If you have no formal qualifications in English, let alone in the teaching profession, your postings and bloggings serve only to pour darkness upon the Sanskrit faculties.

----- Hope moderators take note of such ad hominem comments on a learned member of the forum.

Coming to the point the prepositional function and adverbial function have several things in common and that is the reason the difference between a prepositional phrase and adverbial phrase is sometimes blurring.

"Most adverbial phrases are prepositional phrases functioning as an adverb, modifying a verb, an adverb and an adjective."

Professional linguists have been struggling to handle this tricky issue of distinnguishing between prepositional functions and adverbial functions wherever they overlap.

From a Sanskrit vyaakaraNa point of view, prepositions are kaarakabodhakas.

kaaraka is a relation between noun and verb or vice versa.

Bhartrihari views it as roles of entities in events.

Since adhikaraNa kaaraka has des'aadhikaraNa and kaalaadhikaraNa varieties (apart from vaishayika and abhivyaapaka adhikaraNa varieties), des'aadhikaraNa and kaalaadhikaraNa coincide with what in English are called adverbs of place adverbs of time.

 For that matter, at a philosophical level, it can be argued that all preposition meanings that is, all kaarakas are adverbial in nature.

Humility avoids pitfalls.