Status of Halite?

Arnold Bechtoldt

Oct 14, 2014, 10:21:45 AM10/14/14
to Salt Google Groups
Hey all,

What's the current status of the halite web Salt GUI? Are there any
plans to get it out of pre-alpha? The last commit in the project is ~ 6
months old.

Will Halite die?

Arnold

--
Arnold Bechtoldt

Karlsruhe, Germany
0xE2356889.asc
signature.asc

bruno binet

Oct 14, 2014, 10:44:01 AM10/14/14
to salt-users
+1, I was also wondering about Halite status and the low activity on github.

It is useful (at least to me), so I hope it won't be abandoned.

Alex Leonhardt

Oct 14, 2014, 6:06:55 PM10/14/14
to salt-...@googlegroups.com

Tom mentioned at the London meet up that there is a new or improved webui coming "soon" .. I think "early next year" was said but don't hold me to it ..

Alex

Anna Berruezo

Oct 15, 2014, 5:01:08 AM10/15/14
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
I was about to ask the same question. Does any of you use some kind of UI? It's not something critic right now, but it surely can be in the future.

I've looked into it and I've found a couple of options. There's Halite, Salt official UI, but it's at an early stage. There's also Foreman, but I'm not really sure it's easy to use with Salt. And finally there's ElasticSearch. This one is a bit more generic than Foreman but I'm sure some formulas can be found to make it work with Salt.

Any other options?

Stephen Benjamin

Oct 15, 2014, 12:22:38 PM10/15/14
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 02:01:08AM -0700, Anna Berruezo wrote:
> I was about to ask the same question. Does any of you use some kind of UI?
> It's not something critic right now, but it surely can be in the future.
>
> I've looked into it and I've found a couple of options. There's Halite,
> Salt official UI, but it's at an early stage. There's also Foreman, but I'm
> not really sure it's easy to use with Salt. And finally there's
> ElasticSearch. This one is a bit more generic than Foreman but I'm sure
> some formulas can be found to make it work with Salt.

It's still pretty new, but there is a Salt plugin to Foreman:
https://github.com/theforeman/foreman_salt/wiki

> Any other options?
>
> On Tuesday, October 14, 2014 4:21:45 PM UTC+2, Arnold Bechtoldt wrote:
> >
> > Hey all,
> >
> > What's the current status of the halite web Salt GUI? Are there any
> > plans to get it out of pre-alpha? The last commit in the project is ~ 6
> > months old.
> >
> > Will Halite die?
> >

> > Arnold
> >
> > --
> > Arnold Bechtoldt
> >
> > Karlsruhe, Germany
> >

> --

Stephen Benjamin

Red Hat GmbH | http://de.redhat.com/ | Sitz: Grasbrunn
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht München, HRB 153243
Geschäftsführer: Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham,
Michael O'Neill, Charles Peters

Arnold Bechtoldt

Oct 15, 2014, 2:24:06 PM10/15/14
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
+1

With the additions to the fileserver runner in the upcoming stable
version it should be also possible for Foreman to import the SLS tree
automatically. :)

Arnold

--
Arnold Bechtoldt

Karlsruhe, Germany

0xE2356889.asc
signature.asc

Markus Boos

Jan 26, 2015, 5:22:38 AM1/26/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
+1

Any news on that?

I found SaltPad https://github.com/tinyclues/saltpad which is actve developed. Any experience with this one?

BR
Markus

Rene Jochum

Jan 26, 2015, 6:09:02 AM1/26/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com

Boris FELD

Jan 27, 2015, 12:26:01 PM1/27/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
I'm the main developer of SaltPad, it's currently in beta but we use it in production almost every day. It has been quite helpful to help everyone here to accept and use SaltStack.

It's currently possible to manage salt minions and their keys, launch jobs et view past jobs. I've done a lot of works on the highstate output viewer to easy my life and make it easier to spot errors from dependency requirements failed and steps in success. The template system (one click button to launch a pre-configured job) is working and is used by my colleagues every day, but need some enhancements.

The project is quite young, so any feedback will be welcome.

Regards,
FELD Boris

Alex Leonhardt

Jan 27, 2015, 12:45:37 PM1/27/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Great work Boris! :)

Stephen Spencer

Jan 27, 2015, 5:27:49 PM1/27/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Boris,

Thanks for sharing your work!  the CLI is a bit intimidating and not everyone has the time/chops for putting together their own returner dashboard system.  :D

Cheers,
Stephen
--
You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.

Boris FELD

Jan 28, 2015, 12:10:41 PM1/28/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your encouragements. I didn't even tell the best part, SaltPad only require the salt-api, you can download it, point it to the salt api and run it. It doesn't need a DB or another configuration.

And as it uses the salt-api, you don't need a custom returner either.

If you give it a try, I will be happy to have your feedback!

Cheers,
FELD Boris

James O'Neill

Feb 17, 2015, 5:08:02 PM2/17/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Hi tried to setup SaltPad a couple of nights ago but gave up when it wanted me to install x11-common for some tkinter thing.
Great work Boris! :)

mike r

Feb 18, 2015, 9:39:32 AM2/18/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
thanks Boris, I'll try out saltpad, lack of GUI a major crux in companies not exploring Salt for use. The problem is always having a lack of developers with python/yaml/template experience and the need to manage massive IT infrastructure with these constraints.

Boris FELD

Feb 18, 2015, 10:52:00 AM2/18/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

I've made a big refactoring and put some legacy code in a separate repository, the dependencies should now be much more correct. Sorry about that, I think it was maybe one of the old requirement that lead you to try to install tkinter. It should be now much more lightweight to install.

Boris FELD

Feb 18, 2015, 10:56:21 AM2/18/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Hi mark,

SaltStack Inc will be likely to announce a web GUI made by them, if anyone from SaltStack Inc would like to confirm. So if you need a solution with a company support, you may want to use their future solution.

In the mean time, I will be happy to have your feedback about SaltPad.

Tehmasp Chaudhri

Feb 24, 2015, 12:21:54 PM2/24/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Would be nice to hear from SaltStack about all this. Currently trying to get a Halite installation going in my SaltStack env.

Cheers,
Tehmasp

Seth House

Mar 1, 2015, 1:19:50 AM3/1/15
to salt users list
On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 10:21 AM, Tehmasp Chaudhri <teh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would be nice to hear from SaltStack about all this. Currently trying to get
> a Halite installation going in my SaltStack env.

Halite is officially retired. If anyone in the community wants to take
up the project we'll happily work with them. SaltPad is a much better
alternative and is shaping up into a great project. Other
actively-developed GUIs include Salt plugins for Rundeck and Foreman.

SaltStack is working on a graphical enterprise product as Boris
stated. Development was announced a few months ago and we'll be
showcasing it during SaltConf this coming week. We'll post more info
to our website once it is released.

Dan Garthwaite

Mar 1, 2015, 3:33:45 PM3/1/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com, se...@eseth.com
Sometimes it takes courage to retire a project. I hope, and suspect, that this add oxygen back to other projects in this area.

I'm cloning Salt Pad in 3.. 2..

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 1:19:50 AM UTC-5, Seth House wrote:
Halite is officially retired.

mike r

Mar 2, 2015, 7:38:24 PM3/2/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com, se...@eseth.com
has anyone setup and run Saltpad? I tried following the Git instructions but cant get it to run,

[root@centos2 saltpad]# python app.py
  File "app.py", line 218
    args = {k: v for (k, v) in request.form.iteritems() if not k in
                   ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Tim O'Guin

Mar 2, 2015, 9:05:03 PM3/2/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com, se...@eseth.com

That looks like a Python version issue. Only 2.7 and up has those kinds of dictionary comprehension.

Sharitov Makar

Mar 3, 2015, 12:30:43 AM3/3/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
because of old prints usage and  dictionary comprehension this project can be run only with 2.7

Boris FELD

Mar 3, 2015, 4:40:15 AM3/3/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone, I'm the core developer of Saltpad. I've developed saltpad with python 2.7 in mind but it's not something fixed in stone. Which python versions do you use? Python 2.6, Python 3?

Anyway, I will make explicit in the readme that compatibility is ensured with python 2.7 right now, could you please open a ticket for specific python version compatibility ? I imagine that you tried with a python 2.6 or python 2.5 version mike.

I will also improve the installation documentation in the readme right now. If you have any other suggestion for improvement or documentation lack, I will sprint on saltpad tomorrow during the saltstack sprint here in French, so don't hesitate send me your ideas or open issues.

Alex Leonhardt

Mar 3, 2015, 5:15:29 AM3/3/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com

I'd like to see more py3 compatibility in general with any python project :) .. If I can be of any help let me know :). I'm not a dev per set though not too unfamiliar either.

Alex

Boris FELD

Mar 3, 2015, 5:18:33 AM3/3/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
@Alex, I've just opened an issue for python 3 compatibility and I will try to work on it tomorrow : https://github.com/tinyclues/saltpad/issues/33

Tehmasp Chaudhri

Mar 3, 2015, 9:03:39 AM3/3/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com, se...@eseth.com
Awesome. Thanks for getting back to us on this. Fully agree - w/ other poster - takes courage to retire something or shift focus. I will look at SaltPad or your upcoming announcement (today? :) ). Cheers.

mike r

Mar 3, 2015, 10:26:40 AM3/3/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Boris, my python ver is 2.6.6

Ill upgrade it to 2.7 and try again. Thanks! Btw I forked your gitcode for saltpad, will try to understand how its structured. Im fairly new with python so it will take me some time.

mike r

Mar 3, 2015, 3:12:02 PM3/3/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com

installed py 2.7.6

trying to run this,

cd saltpad
virtualenv venv

getting this: (looks like my py2.6 is still being refenrenced for some reason, even though my PATH contains the 2.7 path and
python --version returns 2.7.6

working on this now

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/root/bin/virtualenv", line 5, in <module>

    from pkg_resources import load_entry_point

  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2655, in <module>

    working_set.require(__requires__)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 648, in require

    needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))

  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 546, in resolve

    raise DistributionNotFound(req)

pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: virtualenv==12.0.7

[root@centos2 saltpad]# virtualenv --version

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/root/bin/virtualenv", line 5, in <module>

    from pkg_resources import load_entry_point

  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2655, in <module>

    working_set.require(__requires__)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 648, in require

    needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))

  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 546, in resolve

    raise DistributionNotFound(req)

pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: virtualenv==12.0.7

also Boris, is there a Saltpad Wiki or some sort of Communities or KB where we can log these issues instead of logging it here, this isnt the best format for issue/KB.

mike r

Mar 3, 2015, 5:08:00 PM3/3/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
figured out my virtualenv issue, I had 2 virtualenv installs in /usr/bin, had one called virtualenv-2.6. I deleted this 2.6 instance and was able to start virtualenv

Was able to start my virtualenv,

Now having Flask issues,

(venv)[root@centos2 saltpad]# /usr/local/bin/python2.7 app.py

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "app.py", line 3, in <module>

    from flask import Flask, redirect, render_template, url_for, session, request, flash, jsonify

ImportError: No module named flask

tried installing Flask,

(venv)[root@centos2 saltpad]# pip install Flask

Collecting Flask

  Using cached Flask-0.10.1.tar.gz

    /tmp/pip-build-6FNhaY/Flask/setup.py:12: DeprecationWarning: Parameters to load are deprecated.  Call .resolve and .require separately.

Collecting Werkzeug>=0.7 (from Flask)

  Using cached Werkzeug-0.10.1.tar.gz

    /tmp/pip-build-6FNhaY/Werkzeug/setup.py:12: DeprecationWarning: Parameters to load are deprecated.  Call .resolve and .require separately.

Collecting Jinja2>=2.4 (from Flask)

  Using cached Jinja2-2.7.3.tar.gz

    /tmp/pip-build-6FNhaY/Jinja2/setup.py:12: DeprecationWarning: Parameters to load are deprecated.  Call .resolve and .require separately.

Collecting itsdangerous>=0.21 (from Flask)

  Using cached itsdangerous-0.24.tar.gz

    /tmp/pip-build-6FNhaY/itsdangerous/setup.py:12: DeprecationWarning: Parameters to load are deprecated.  Call .resolve and .require separately.

      url='http://github.com/mitsuhiko/itsdangerous',

Collecting markupsafe (from Jinja2>=2.4->Flask)

  Using cached MarkupSafe-0.23.tar.gz

    /tmp/pip-build-6FNhaY/markupsafe/setup.py:12: DeprecationWarning: Parameters to load are deprecated.  Call .resolve and .require separately.

      is_jython = 'java' in sys.platform

No dice, always says ImportError: No Module named flask

python hell.

Alex Leonhardt

Mar 3, 2015, 5:15:57 PM3/3/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com

What does pip freeze say? Should list Flask and other dependencies .. If not, when you installed Flask, maybe the environment wasn't activated?

/me just guessing

Alex

Boris FELD

Mar 3, 2015, 5:16:38 PM3/3/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Hi mike, the project is hosted on github (https://github.com/tinyclues/saltpad), so you can open an issue on the github project. You may also use stack overflow, will try to watch it for saltpad questions. I don't know if the salt-users is the right place to discuss the issues but I don't think saltpad will drive a lot of message on the ML right now, so you can continue to use salt-users or the github issues.

About your error, first I've update the saltpad readme to include a part about installing saltpad inside a virtualenv (https://github.com/tinyclues/saltpad#installation). When you're using a virtualenv, you should use the python binary without explicit path, virtualenv tweak your path to use the virtualenv python when you type "python", but it you use the system one "/usr/local/bin/python2.7", you bypass the virtualenv and so the flask dependency is available in the virtualenv but not in the global python packages repository.

mike r

Mar 4, 2015, 12:16:15 PM3/4/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
running w/o explicit python path, pip freeze says flask is installed,

(venv)[root@centos2 saltpad]# pip freeze

Flask==0.10.1

itsdangerous==0.24

Jinja2==2.7.3

MarkupSafe==0.23

Werkzeug==0.10.1

(venv)[root@centos2 saltpad]# python app.py

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "app.py", line 3, in <module>

    from flask import Flask, redirect, render_template, url_for, session, request, flash, jsonify

ImportError: No module named flask

(venv)[root@centos2

Ill keep troubelshooting

Dan Garthwaite

Mar 4, 2015, 12:37:06 PM3/4/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
If I had the time I would write a salt state file to download and install saltpad for Mike.  Any takers?

Boris FELD

Mar 4, 2015, 12:42:38 PM3/4/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Dan, I've already made a quick and dirty salt state file to download and install saltpad here : https://github.com/tinyclues/saltpad/blob/master/vagrant/salt/roots/salt/saltpad.sls

The hard part is not to install saltpad and its dependencies, it's how you deploy it behind a nginx / apache and using ssl / tls but maybe it's outside of the scope of the formula.

mike r

Mar 4, 2015, 12:58:00 PM3/4/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
thanks Boris, Ill try running your state file. Will get back to you guys w results.

James O'Neill

Mar 5, 2015, 8:36:33 AM3/5/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible to run this on uwsgi? I've spent the evening trying to get it to work on uwsgi and nginx but I just get 404 errors. I put a simple Flask app into the same directory and it works fine. Running app.py also works fine.

James O'Neill

Mar 6, 2015, 4:19:05 AM3/6/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Wow, what a mission to get it running on uWSGI and Nginx. For the record (and future James), here is what I changed in app.py:

# app = Flask("SaltPad", template_folder="templates")
app = Flask(__name__, template_folder="templates")

I'm not familiar enough with these applications to know how to fix it properly. I also changed:

app.run(host=app.config['HOST'], port=app.config["PORT"])

So I could specify the port.

Regards,
James

Boris FELD

Mar 6, 2015, 4:32:45 AM3/6/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Hello James, it's weird, I'm able to run saltpad very easily with a wsgi server, could you please open an issue on https://github.com/tinyclues/saltpad to see what can be improved in the code and in the doc.

James O'Neill

Mar 6, 2015, 4:39:06 AM3/6/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Boris,

I don't really see any issue with SaltPad, it was just my inexperience with Nginx and uWSGI. SaltPad is working fine for me now and I've learned a bit more of each.

Regards,
James

Boris FELD

Mar 6, 2015, 5:03:30 AM3/6/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
I've just pushed two little changes on saltpad to ease integration with wsgi servers but couldn't make it works with uwsgi, will try to work on it, could you please send me details about how you launch saltpad with uwsgi?

James O'Neill

Mar 7, 2015, 2:13:33 AM3/7/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Certainly.

/etc/nginx/sites-available/saltpad
server {
    listen 0.0.0.0:80;

    location /static {
        alias /srv/saltpad/saltpad/static;
    }

    location / {
        include    uwsgi_params;
        uwsgi_pass unix://tmp/saltpad.sock;
    }
}

/etc/uwsgi/apps-available/saltpad
[uwsgi]
# Python module to import
module = app

# variable holding flask application inside module
callable = app

pythonpath = /srv/saltpad/saltpad

virtualenv = /srv/saltpad/.env

# socket file locationa
socket = /tmp/saltpad.sock

# permissions for socket file
uid = www-data
gid = www-data
chmod-socket = 777
chown-socket = www-data
socket-timeout = 300

daemonize = /var/log/saltpad.log

I haven't yet been back through to test out the settings some more so some of the uWSGI config settings can likely be removed.

Regards,
James

James O'Neill

Mar 8, 2015, 5:47:22 AM3/8/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
I've found that when I leave app.py as it is with:

app = Flask("SaltPad", template_folder="templates")

it actually causes a 500 error in the salt-api request (cherrypy and zeromq components) which then causes SaltPad to throw a 500 error.

Arnold Bechtoldt

Mar 8, 2015, 6:50:43 AM3/8/15
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
May I ask you guys to move SaltPad debug discussions to
<https://github.com/tinyclues/saltpad/issues>? It'll be also easier
keeping track of these bugs there. ;)

Arnold

--