Retaining old package versions in the Ubuntu PPA?

Daniel Bryan

Oct 10, 2013, 6:13:19 PM10/10/13
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

We were excited about the v0.17.0 release, but we've been burned pretty badly by this bug:

Not having properly coloured output for broken states makes a deployment a whole lot harder.

Obviously small issues like this will always exist in a "dot-O" release; I'm wondering whether there's been any talk of keeping old package versions available in the PPA repository?

It's generally good practise with any large project to avoid the dot-O for a mission critical system; even with very large and stable projects like Postgres there's good reason for it.

I'm not terribly familiar with how LaunchPad works, but is this something the Salt project would be able to do, without having to resort to different package names like "salt-minion-v0.16.4"? I've seen at least a few examples in my Debian days of pinning to a package version like so:

sudo apt-get install apache2=2.2.20-1ubuntu1

I'm happy to volunteer any help or resources the community would need to make this possible. I think as projects become large, mature and widely deployed, this is very much needed, and it'd be a pity to have to sacrifice the flexibility and speed of the PPA releases by maintaining our own package repository.

Cheers.

Sebastien Douche

Oct 14, 2013, 5:21:20 AM10/14/13
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 12:13 AM, Daniel Bryan <danb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Obviously small issues like this will always exist in a "dot-O" release; I'm
> wondering whether there's been any talk of keeping old package versions
> available in the PPA repository?

Hi,
use pinning:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PinningHowto

--
Sebastien Douche <sdo...@gmail.com>
Twitter: @sdouche / G+: +sdouche

Daniel Bryan

Dec 22, 2013, 9:06:58 PM12/22/13
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
> On Monday, October 14, 2013 8:21:20 PM UTC+11, Sebastien Douche wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 12:13 AM, Daniel Bryan <danb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Obviously small issues like this will always exist in a "dot-O" release; I'm
>> wondering whether there's been any talk of keeping old package versions
>> available in the PPA repository?
>
> Hi,
>use pinning:

Pinning only works if the old version is still in the package repo.

    $ sudo apt-cache madison salt-minion
    salt-minion | 0.17.4-1quantal | http://ppa.launchpad.net/saltstack/salt/ubuntu/ quantal/main amd64 Packages
    salt-minion |   0.10.1-3 | http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/universe amd64 Packages
          salt |   0.10.1-3 | http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/universe Sources
          salt | 0.17.4-1quantal | http://ppa.launchpad.net/saltstack/salt/ubuntu/ quantal/main Sources

Quite a few times now, we've seen "patch releases" break code (i.e. states)
that was working robustly[1].

Whether or not our existing broken, the semantics of a patch release don't seem
to apply lately.

The release notes [2] for 0.17.4 are length and it's not clear how to determine
which parts have an impact on changing working behaviour.

I'm consistently impressed by how quickly Salt development progresses, and how
stable the releases are in general, but these breaking patch releases are
becoming a real pain. We've been tempted to set up our own apt mirror so that
we can control the uptake of a new release, but we'd prefer to avoid this.

Has there been any further thought into keeping previous releases in the
package repo? If there are technical obstacles to this, what would it take to
get it done?

Thanks,

Daniel

[1] Case in point from 0.17.4: https://github.com/saltstack/salt/issues/9400

Corey Quinn

Dec 22, 2013, 10:26:07 PM12/22/13
to salt-...@googlegroups.com, salt-...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 22, 2013, at 6:06 PM, Daniel Bryan
Pinning only works if the old version is still in the package repo.

...which Launchpad doesn't support.

w quickly Salt development progresses, and how
stable the releases are in general, but these breaking patch releases are
becoming a real pain. We've been tempted to set up our own apt mirror so that
we can control the uptake of a new release, but we'd prefer to avoid this.

You SHOULD be doing this, regardless of which config manager you're using.

Upstream does occasionally break; that's why in mature prod environments new releases of mission critical software are vetted prior to introduction.

Has there been any further thought into keeping previous releases in
package repo? If there are technical obstacles to this, what would it take to
get it done?

Talk to Launchpad.

--Corey

Daniel Bryan

Dec 23, 2013, 5:37:45 PM12/23/13
to salt-...@googlegroups.com
Well that's pretty decisive then. Guess it's time to set up a stable apt mirror :)