cutting and pasting to sage console in virtualbox

Ursula Whitcher

Sep 24, 2012, 5:38:53 PM9/24/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Is there a way to force VirtualBox to allow cutting and pasting between Windows and the console in the standard Sage installation?

Here's the process I'm going through.

First, I updated my version of VirtualBox, and updated the version of Sage it's running to 5.1.

I noticed that in this version, Sage opens in a Notebook view, and I am able to cut and paste from a notebook to my progress notes.

Then, I used the instructions at

http://wiki.sagemath.org/SageAppliance#Using_the_Sage_shell

to switch from a notebook view to the console view, and logged in as "sage" with password "sage".

The VirtualBox manual at

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html

says that I need the "Guest Additions" package to copy and paste between VirtualBox and windows in Windows.  It further tells me that I ought to be able to install the "Guest Additions" by going to the Devices menu in the window of VirtualBox that's running Sage, and choosing "Install Guest Additions".  However, when I do this, I get an error message that begins "Unable to mount the CD/DVD image".

My goal here is to try out a couple of patches.  But I'm not sure I trust myself to type the URLs by hand without error.

UAW

Volker Braun

Sep 24, 2012, 5:51:28 PM9/24/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
The VirtualBox guest additions are already installed in the VM that we are distributing, but they don't do clipboard integration on the console (only in X).

You can log in via ssh from the host machine, then you can use the hosts' terminal (which hopefully supports cut&paste):

ssh -p 2222 sage@localhost

that is, port=2222, username=sage, password=sage, hostname=localhost

Ursula Whitcher

Sep 24, 2012, 7:02:17 PM9/24/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, September 24, 2012 4:51:28 PM UTC-5, Volker Braun wrote:
The VirtualBox guest additions are already installed in the VM that we are distributing, but they don't do clipboard integration on the console (only in X).

You can log in via ssh from the host machine, then you can use the hosts' terminal (which hopefully supports cut&paste):

ssh -p 2222 sage@localhost

that is, port=2222, username=sage, password=sage, hostname=localhost

Thanks!  I logged in with my favorite ssh client.  I have now reached the advanced stage where patches aren't installing because I'm trying to install them in the wrong order.

Is there a "test" patch for Sage which doesn't do anything substantive?  I have been writing notes about how to patch a Windows installation of Sage, and it would be nice to have an example.

UAW

Dima Pasechnik

Sep 27, 2012, 7:54:25 PM9/27/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
there should not be anything specific about patching Sage installation running in VirtualBox. It's just a Sage Linux installation, in this sense.

UAW

Ursula Whitcher

Sep 27, 2012, 9:16:04 PM9/27/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On 9/27/2012 6:54 PM, Dima Pasechnik wrote:

>> Is there a "test" patch for Sage which doesn't do anything
>> substantive? I have been writing notes about how to patch a
>> Windows installation of Sage, and it would be nice to have an
>> example.

> there should not be anything specific about patching Sage
> installation running in VirtualBox. It's just a Sage Linux
> installation, in this sense.

Right, that's why step 1 of my notes is "You will need to figure out how
to interact with the version of Linux running on VirtualBox." I would
classify "ssh into your own computer using a specific port and generic
name/password" as "not obvious", personally.

And as far as I know, there isn't a tutorial on patching Sage for Linux
floating around, either. The information tends to be buried in larger
discussions of how to start developing for Sage.

UAW

Volker Braun

Sep 28, 2012, 3:52:03 AM9/28/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
I agree. Are you volunteering to write an "introduction to patching for the impatient" tutorial? ;-)

The patchbot already knows how to figure out patch dependencies, it would be nice if there were a command "try out ths ticket" and it would pull in all patches..

Ursula Whitcher

Sep 28, 2012, 7:31:02 AM9/28/12
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On 9/28/2012 2:52 AM, Volker Braun wrote:
> I agree. Are you volunteering to write an "introduction to patching for
> the impatient" tutorial? ;-)

"For the naive", I think. The impatient person's solution is to make
someone else do the work ;)

> The patchbot already knows how to figure out patch dependencies, it
> would be nice if there were a command "try out ths ticket" and it would
> pull in all patches..

Yes! This sounds particularly handy in Windows, where every update to
Sage produces a new virtual machine.

UAW