Plot saving segfault on 6.8, works on 6.7 (same machine, same config)

Andrzej Giniewicz

Jul 28, 2015, 4:02:54 PM7/28/15
to sage-support
Hello again,

I have fresh build of sage 6.8 that (after setting locale) passed all
tests. Unfortunately when I tried to build my book which works with
sage 6.7 built on same machine with same options - I'm getting
segfault.

It occurs when I try to save the plot into svg for the second time
after using matplotlib.rc('text', usetex=True) - if I don't make
matplotlib use TeX, saving to svg works. If I write png after setting
use TeX, it also works. Using savefig from matplotlib also fails, also
when using ./sage -ipython.

Full output in http://pastebin.com/ZfEj7WgY including gdb.
Log from installing matplotlib: http://pastebin.com/qFY8y8wN

Machine is Arch Linux (last updated 2 years ago), gcc 4.8.0.

Failing code:

sage: import matplotlib
sage: matplotlib.rc('text', usetex=True)
sage: plot(sin).save('test.svg') # works
sage: plot(sin).save('test.svg') # segfault

Tried with and without custom CFLAGS optimizations - same effect.

Any idea what it might be? Smells like freetype, but on sage 6.7
everything works.

Thanks in advance,
Andrzej.

Volker Braun

Jul 29, 2015, 4:12:47 AM7/29/15
to sage-support, ggi...@gmail.com
This is a freetype bug. Fixed in http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/18962

Andrzej Giniewicz

Jul 29, 2015, 6:59:10 AM7/29/15
to Volker Braun, sage-support
Thanks for quick fix. I can confirm the issue is gone now. Wanted to
set positive review but came too late.

Cheers,
Andrzej.