Various distribution bugs / inconsistencies in distribution packaging of sage

Matthias Koeppe

Dec 30, 2019, 10:01:32 PM12/30/19
to sage-packaging
First of all, many thanks to everyone who has been working on distribution packaging of sagemath!

I would like to bring https://github.com/mkoeppe/sage-numerical-backends-coin to your attention.
It is a Cython package that has sagelib as a dependency; it can be installed on top of various distributions of sage to provide the COIN-OR CBC solver as a MixedIntegerLinearProgram backend. Though many distributions package cbc, as far as I know, the backend (sage.numerical.backends.coin_backend.CoinBackend) is not provided by any distribution. This may be in part because of COIN-OR's incompatible free software license.

In the course of testing the new package on various distributions, I have come across various distribution bugs and inconsistencies. Resolving them would make it easier for package authors to ensure that their packages install and work properly on distributions providing sage.

I have documented the issues that I encountered in comments in the following files:

See also https://github.com/mkoeppe/sage-numerical-backends-coin/actions?query=workflow%3A%22Build+and+test+Python+package%22 for automatic tests (on GitHub Actions) of the package on various systems. One, on Debian unstable, is currently failing.

Pull requests for adding tests for additional distributions that package sagemath would be very welcome. See https://github.com/mkoeppe/sage-numerical-backends-coin/issues/1

Antonio Rojas

Dec 31, 2019, 4:07:12 AM12/31/19
to sage-pa...@googlegroups.com
El mar., 31 dic. 2019 4:01, Matthias Koeppe <mko...@math.ucdavis.edu> escribió:
Though many distributions package cbc, as far as I know, the backend (sage.numerical.backends.coin_backend.CoinBackend) is not provided by any distribution.

Arch does provide the backend