Do we really need to keep every cythonized file twice?

Jean-Pierre Flori

Jan 7, 2014, 6:31:17 PM1/7/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
It used to be the case with sage-hg and is still the case with sage-git though the two directories location changed.
Is this really necessary for the update process?
It's just that it really spoils the address space on Cygwin, and eats space on all systems.

Simon King

Jan 7, 2014, 7:02:58 PM1/7/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jean-Pierre,

On 2014-01-07, Jean-Pierre Flori <jpf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ------=_Part_785_14872110.1389137477309
>
> It used to be the case with sage-hg and is still the case with sage-git
> though the two directories location changed.

Where are the copies stored? I've never heard of all .pyx files being
there twice.

Cheers,
Simon

Jean-Pierre Flori

Jan 7, 2014, 7:07:19 PM1/7/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
In fact I meant the compiled files :
[sage.git] find . -name linbox.so -exec ls -alh {} \;
-rwxrwxr-x. 1 jpflori jpflori 270K 31 déc.  07:01 ./src/build/lib.linux-ppc64-2.7/sage/libs/linbox/linbox.so
-rwxrwxr-x. 1 jpflori jpflori 270K 31 déc.  07:01 ./local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sage/libs/linbox/linbox.so

Francois Bissey

Jan 7, 2014, 7:13:06 PM1/7/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure that anything under src/build/lib.linux-ppc64-2.7 or src/build/temp.linux-ppc64-2.7 is really useful.
I don't think that it is even used if you do "sage -b". Otherwise sage works perfectly without either of
these folders. src/build/cython_debug is useful however. sage-on-gentoo only keeps one copy there, I guess you could clean
up stuff from the build process.

François
Jan 7, 2014, 7:16:43 PM1/7/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, January 8, 2014 1:13:06 AM UTC+1, François wrote:
I am not sure that anything under src/build/lib.linux-ppc64-2.7 or src/build/temp.linux-ppc64-2.7 is really useful.
I don't think that it is even used if you do "sage -b". Otherwise sage works perfectly without either of
It seemed to me that the build process somehow relied on biuld/lib.... i.e. if you delete it and type make, then here you go again though files have been copied into theit final destination.
Hopefully at least the bdist tarballs don't include these folders.

Francois Bissey

Jan 7, 2014, 7:26:25 PM1/7/14
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure what happens with make, of course in make you don't touch anything that
hasn't been updated. python setup.py doesn't work like that I think, but for "sage -b" to work
without rebuilding everything it must somehow keep track of what's been done before.
For cython files we explicitly touch their time stamp at the beginning of the building process
to get them all to build but I am not sure about the pure python files.