Error while building

Ibrahim M. Akrab

Mar 9, 2020, 12:12:06 PM3/9/20
to sage-devel
Hi.
I was trying to build sage for development and contribution in gsoc but I got this build error. I'm not an expert in make so I did as the message told me to do and posted it here.
My laptop is dell 5558 i7 with 8GB of ram. My OS is linux mint 19.3 cinnamon.

This is the message at the end of the failure:
Error building Sage.

The following package(s) may have failed to build (not necessarily
during this run of 'make all-start'):

* package:         gfortran-9.2.0
  last build time: Mar 9 00:27
  log file:        /PATH/sage/logs/pkgs/gfortran-9.2.0.log
  build directory: /PATH/sage/local/var/tmp/sage/build/gfortran-9.2.0

It is safe to delete any log files and build directories, but they
contain information that is helpful for debugging build problems.
WARNING: If you now run 'make' again, the build directory of the
same version of the package will, by default, be deleted. Set the
environment variable SAGE_KEEP_BUILT_SPKGS=yes to prevent this.

thanks in advance.
Ibrahim
gfortran-9.2.0.log

Matthias Koeppe

Mar 9, 2020, 12:36:50 PM3/9/20
to sage-devel
From the log:

checking LIBRARY_PATH variable... contains current directory
configure: error:
*** LIBRARY_PATH shouldn't contain the current directory when
*** building gcc. Please change the environment variable
*** and run configure again.
Makefile:4242: recipe for target 'configure-gcc' failed
make[5]: *** [configure-gcc] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory '/home/ibrahim/projects/gsoc/sage/local/var/tmp/sage/build/gfortran-9.2.0/gcc-build'

Please post config.log as well.

A workaround is to install the system gfortran package.

Matthias Koeppe

Mar 9, 2020, 1:35:20 PM3/9/20
to sage-devel
gfortran builds correctly in the current beta (9.1.beta7) on linuxmint-19.3-minimal, as reproduced in https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/29304

Ibrahim M. Akrab

Mar 9, 2020, 3:49:57 PM3/9/20
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
I installed it and I think it no longer shows this error. However, it's like we're playing cat and mouse since it keeps asking for packages and I keep searching for and installing them.

First, it was gfortran then r and now pynac. I think a list of required packages would be great to install before building.

Thanks for your help and time.

Matthias Koeppe

Mar 9, 2020, 4:07:55 PM3/9/20
to sage-devel
config.log please
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sage-...@googlegroups.com.

Dima Pasechnik

Mar 9, 2020, 4:17:27 PM3/9/20
to sage-devel
On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 7:49 PM Ibrahim M. Akrab
<ibrahim...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I installed it and I think it no longer shows this error. However, it's like we're playing cat and mouse since it keeps asking for packages and I keep searching for and installing them.
>
> First, it was gfortran then r and now pynac. I think a list of required packages would be great to install before building.

I've posted a topic with subject line starting from FAQ here few days
ago. It lists packages for Debian.
Not sure how different it is for Mint - one needs to try.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/CAPj6Vx%3D54Gt0-dksuOHjOHjh50161VHj1e-MFnxegmU-_EK00Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Ibrahim M. Akrab

Mar 9, 2020, 4:18:39 PM3/9/20
to sage-devel
Oh, sorry forgot about it. Here it is.
config.log

Ibrahim M. Akrab

Mar 9, 2020, 4:20:48 PM3/9/20
to sage-devel
Just found it. That makes it much easier. Thanks.