sage_sample

Viviane Pons

Apr 4, 2020, 8:35:55 AM4/4/20
to Sage devel
Dear all,

I am adapting the sage_sample package (https://github.com/sagemath/sage_sample) to make it work on sage 9 / python 3. At the moment, my local install works but I have problems installing the new sage image on the TravisCI server. Also, I saw that it is possible to use Docker with Travis and it sounds like it could be a good solution (at the moment, from what I understand, the Travis server has to run a full install from source). I am no expert on these things, so here are my questions:

 * is there any example of a package using Travis CI testing on sage9 and maybe with docker that I could use as an example?

 * also, is there a way to run the tests automatically whenever a new version of sage is released (I am specifically interested in this part for some other project).

I hope you're all doing ok in these troubled times.

Cheers,

Viviane

Dima Pasechnik

Apr 4, 2020, 9:20:16 AM4/4/20
to sage-devel
Dear Viviane,
we now have a capability to test Sage using Docker and GitHub Actions.
No Travis CI.

HTH
Dima

Matthias Koeppe

Apr 4, 2020, 12:40:54 PM4/4/20
to sage-devel

For https://github.com/mkoeppe/cutgeneratingfunctionology I use Travis CI. Two ways of testing: One installing sage via conda; another (similar to sage_sample) installing the sage binary distribution. The one using conda is more robust.

https://github.com/mkoeppe/sage-numerical-interactive-mip uses GitHub Actions rather than Travis CI.

For https://github.com/mkoeppe/sage-numerical-backends-coin I also use GitHub Actions rather than Travis CI. Two ways of testing: One directly, again using conda; the other, via Docker.

 * also, is there a way to run the tests automatically whenever a new version of sage is released (I am specifically interested in this part for some other project).

On Travis CI, and probably also on GitHub Actions, one can schedule the test to run every week, for example.

Nicolas M. Thiery

Apr 4, 2020, 5:27:18 PM4/4/20
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Matthias for the feedback! I gather that sage_sample would best
switch to using Sage's conda distribution, right?. Would you have a
recommendation between using Travis CI or GitHub Actions?

Cheers,
Nicolas
> --

Nicolas
--
Nicolas M. Thiéry "Isil" <nth...@users.sf.net>
http://Nicolas.Thiery.name/

Matthias Koeppe

Apr 4, 2020, 10:34:57 PM4/4/20
to sage-devel
On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 2:27:18 PM UTC-7, Nicolas M. Thiéry wrote:

I gather that sage_sample would best
switch to using Sage's conda distribution, right?. Would you have a
recommendation between using Travis CI or GitHub Actions?

It's probably easiest to stay with Travis CI so that only minor updates are needed, and to use conda as the main way to test a Sage package. If you or others would like to update sage_sample, please feel free to copy from https://github.com/mkoeppe/cutgeneratingfunctionology, which works well.

Nathan Dunfield

Apr 4, 2020, 11:56:12 PM4/4/20
to sage-devel

 * is there any example of a package using Travis CI testing on sage9 and maybe with docker that I could use as an example?

Marc Masdeu

Apr 20, 2020, 3:26:22 AM4/20/20
to sage-devel
Hi all,

I recently upgraded the cookiecutter at https://github.com/mmasdeu/sage_package_template and it works with Sage 9.0 and Travis CI. This could be made to work with Github actions as well, and I would push to improving this one instead of sage_sample. Note that something like sage_sample is created automatically by just accepting all the defaults in the cookiecutter, including all the key setup.

Marc.