Characteristic classes on manifolds

YoungMath

Mar 30, 2019, 2:03:27 PM3/30/19
to sage-devel
My dear developers,
right now, I'm working on my master thesis and my task is to implement characteristic classes (of the tangent bdl. of a manifold), such as the A-genus, into Sage. The implementation shall be based
upon this piece of work by my supervisor. Briefly, one can compute the classes out of the curvature matrix and the corresponding power series.

So far, I've implemented the graded algebra of mixed differential forms and the next step will be the matrix framework for the desired classes.

However, it might also be convenient to implement some methods into manifolds/differentiable/manifold.py directly.

Is this idea worth a ticket? You wanna see the code I've done so far?

Cheers,
YoungMath

Eric Gourgoulhon

Mar 31, 2019, 5:40:01 AM3/31/19
to sage-devel
Hi,
Yes sure! Please open a ticket.
(you might find some hints at https://sagemanifolds.obspm.fr/contrib.html ).

Best wishes,

Eric.

MJ

Mar 31, 2019, 6:58:26 AM3/31/19
to sage-devel
Great! So, the next step is cloning sage to my local repo and connect git to the trac server, right?

Are there some important things I have to take care of?

Eric Gourgoulhon

Mar 31, 2019, 8:38:06 AM3/31/19
to sage-devel

Le dimanche 31 mars 2019 12:58:26 UTC+2, Michael Jung a écrit :
Great! So, the next step is cloning sage to my local repo and connect git to the trac server, right?

Yep!

Are there some important things I have to take care of?

Above all, make sure that your code is fully python3 compatible
since SageMath migration to python3 is getting close:

Travis Scrimshaw

Mar 31, 2019, 6:33:03 PM3/31/19
to sage-devel
Dear MJ,
   Also if you plan on including your code in Sage (which it sounds like you are, +1!), it would be a good idea to break the code into smaller pieces to help facilitate and easier review. For example, the algebra itself can be one ticket. Feel free to also cc me (by using tscrim) on the tickets.

Best,
Travis

Michael Jung

Mar 31, 2019, 6:53:06 PM3/31/19
to sage-devel
Thanks for your interest! :) I started the ticket right away (to be honest, it took some effort as newbie).

I already finished the code, yet the first push will take some time. I need to create the doctests, first. Unless you say it's not necessary for now.

I'm looking forward to this project - hopefully I do not start banging my head on the desk during this process, like you guys do. :D

Regards,
Michael

P.S. Yeah, I changed my name a couple of times, But I'm a devel virgin. However, this one is fixed now.

Michael Jung

Apr 2, 2019, 4:54:51 PM4/2/19
to sage-devel
I started another ticket, just for my own (and maybe other's?) convenience. It's about the latex name of multiplied scalar fields.

Moreover, I've encountered a problem regarding the multiplication of my algebra. Suppose A and B are mixed differential forms, a is some differential form and f is a differentiable scalar field on M. Then, I get the following results:

sage: A.__mul__(B)
Mixed differential form A/\B on the 2-dimensional differentiable manifold M
sage: f.__mul__(A)
Mixed differential form f/\A on the 2-dimensional differentiable manifold M
sage: A.__mul__(a)
Mixed differential form A/\a on the 2-dimensional differentiable manifold M
sage
: a.__mul__(A)
Mixed differential form A/\a on the 2-dimensional differentiable manifold M

All fine, except the very last line. The coercions are working quite well so far - without any errors. Yet, what might explain the very different results? Can you give me a first hint, though not seeing the code?

Cheers,
Michael

Eric Gourgoulhon

Apr 3, 2019, 5:38:26 AM4/3/19
to sage-devel
Le mardi 2 avril 2019 22:54:51 UTC+2, Michael Jung a écrit :

All fine, except the very last line. The coercions are working quite well so far - without any errors. Yet, what might explain the very different results? Can you give me a first hint, though not seeing the code?

Well it's difficult to answer without seeing the code... Can you share it by adding a branch to the ticket?

Best wishes,

Eric.

michi...@kabelmail.de

Apr 3, 2019, 5:48:46 AM4/3/19
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I could. But it's not well documented yet. Should I add it anyway?

Best regards,
Michael

> Yes, I could. But it's not well documented yet. Should I add it anyway?

as long as the ticket is not marked as "needs review", your branch
there can be WIP, why not?

Michael Jung

Apr 3, 2019, 7:38:17 AM4/3/19
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Okay, the code has been uploaded. :)

Eric Gourgoulhon

Apr 3, 2019, 8:13:19 AM4/3/19
to sage-devel
Le mercredi 3 avril 2019 13:38:17 UTC+2, Michael Jung a écrit :
Okay, the code has been uploaded. :)

Thanks!
I found the reason. I am answering on the ticket.

Eric.

michi...@kabelmail.de

Apr 3, 2019, 11:42:34 AM4/3/19
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you! I fixed it right away and commited a sage compilable version. Moreover, I added a jupyter example file (in german).

Best regards
Michael

Apr 6, 2019, 12:54:20 PM4/6/19
to sage-devel
I added a link to a demo notebook in the description of the ticket.

Furthermore, I've encountered another unnice issue (see ticket comments). I'd appreciate when someone knows how to fix it.

Best regards
Michael

Michael Jung

Apr 8, 2019, 11:14:13 AM4/8/19
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

I changed the status to "needs_review" since the doctests are now complete. :)

What are the next steps? Lean back and sip tea?

Regards,
Michael

Am 06.04.19 um 18:54 schrieb Michael Jung:

Travis Scrimshaw

Apr 9, 2019, 11:32:28 PM4/9/19
to sage-devel
Hi Michael,
   Yep, basically, and then answer anything the reviewer(s) come up with.

Best,
Travis
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to sage-...@googlegroups.com.
Message has been deleted