Sage on WSL

Friedrich Wiemer

Jul 12, 2018, 10:12:57 AM7/12/18
to sage-devel
There were some discussions here on running Sage in the Windows Subsystem for Linux, which comes with Windows 10.
This is just a status update, for those who are interested in using Sage this way under Windows:

I have successfull compiled Sage 8.3.rc0 and most of the tests also succeeds, attached is a test log. Many of the failures during testing is due to the printed warning
> /home/asante/local/src/sage/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/psutil/_pslinux.py:469: RuntimeWarning: 'sin' and 'sout' swap memory stats couldn't be determined and were set to 0 ([Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/proc/vmstat')
>  warnings.warn(msg, RuntimeWarning)
but there are also some other problems - however, I have not really looked into those.
Overall, from my little testing up to now, it looks like compilation is "ok-ish" (still quite slow due to the many hard-drive accesses I guess), and definitely one possibility to start hacking on Sage when using Windows.

If anyone would like me to test something specific, let me know.

Best,
Friedrich
sage-test.log

Samuel Lelievre

Jul 12, 2018, 4:52:35 PM7/12/18
to sage-devel
Thu 2018-07-12 16:12:57 UTC+2, Friedrich Wiemer:

> There were some discussions here on running Sage in the
> Windows Subsystem for Linux, which comes with Windows 10.
> This is just a status update, for those who are interested in
> using Sage this way under Windows:

> I have successfully compiled Sage 8.3.rc0 and most of the
> tests also succeeds, attached is a test log. Many of the
> failures during testing is due to the printed warning
> /home/asante/local/src/sage/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/psutil/_pslinux.py:469: RuntimeWarning: 'sin' and 'sout' swap memory stats couldn't be determined and were set to 0 ([Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/proc/vmstat')
> warnings.warn(msg, RuntimeWarning)
> but there are also some other problems - however, I have
> not really looked into those.
> Overall, from my little testing up to now, it looks like
> compilation is "ok-ish" (still quite slow due to the many
> hard-drive accesses I guess), and definitely one possibility
> to start hacking on Sage when using Windows.
>
> If anyone would like me to test something specific, let me know.

Thanks for this status update!

See also

- Ask Sage question 42959
  RuntimeWarning [Sage 8.2 WSL]
  https://ask.sagemath.org/question/42959

Erik Bray

Jul 13, 2018, 6:23:39 AM7/13/18
to sage-devel
This is good news! I'll have to give it a try--I haven't tried Sage
on WSL in quite a while. I suspect this will be overall a better
experience for doing Sage development on Windows than using Cygwin,
though I'll be interested to try some performance comparisons. I
suspect WSL will fare better for fork() alone. I will try this at
some point and document how to set it up so that other people can use
it for Sage development on Windows.

That said, the Cygwin approach is still the only viable way to
*distribute* Sage for users in a works-out-of-the-box fashion.