Multiple SSL vhosts on the same IP (sagecell, trac)

Volker Braun

Aug 19, 2013, 3:09:04 PM8/19/13
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Both sagecell.sagemath.org and trac.sagemath.org live on the same IP, so they can't both use SSL. Which is a pity, we need https to avoid broken "transparent" proxies and we should be using SSL with trac too. But two name-based vhosts with SSL is generally a bad idea, though it can be hacked around somewhat (http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/NameBasedSSLVHosts). Ideally, they would be served from different IPs.

Right now, https://trac.sagemath.org gives you a big fat SSL error.

William Stein

Aug 19, 2013, 3:17:22 PM8/19/13
to sage-devel, Keith Clawson
On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 12:09 PM, Volker Braun <vbrau...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Both sagecell.sagemath.org and trac.sagemath.org live on the same IP, so
> they can't both use SSL. Which is a pity, we need https to avoid broken

Hi Volker,

I just invested in getting a dedicated rack in the "state-of-the-art"
UW 4545 datacenter.
Some of the sage*math.washington.edu hardware will get moved into that
rack (along with
much of https://cloud.sagemath.com). One nice bonus of getting a
rack is that I get a big
IP-space allocation. We'll assign individual IP's for many of the VM's.

This all starts happening around Aug 30.

William

> "transparent" proxies and we should be using SSL with trac too. But two
> name-based vhosts with SSL is generally a bad idea, though it can be hacked
> around somewhat (http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/NameBasedSSLVHosts). Ideally,
> they would be served from different IPs.
>
> Right now, https://trac.sagemath.org gives you a big fat SSL error.
>
> --

William Stein
Professor of Mathematics