Re: Question about Sage

William Stein

Mar 16, 2012, 9:53:59 AM3/16/12
to Tim Kroeger, sage-devel
On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Tim Kroeger <> wrote:
> Dear Mr. Stein,
>
> I appreciate the Sage software project and would like to use it in my
> lectures for some demonstration purposes.  However, I would like to easily
> enable interested students to re-run the shown examples on their home
> computers, and I assume that most students will be using Microsoft Windows.
>  As far as I understand, running Sage in Microsoft Windows is currently only
> possible via a virtual machine.  Although the installtion is
> well-documented, I fear that many students would find this far too
> complicated and hence refrain from running the examples.  On the other hand,
> on http://www.sagemath.org/development-ack.html, you write that Microsoft
> Research is funding a native port of Sage to Microsoft Windows.  My question
> is now: Is there still work on that native port and, if yes, can you give
> any estimate about when it might be available?

There are currently no plans to have a native port of Sage to
Microsoft Windows. (The funding from Microsoft was back in 2007 and
was far, far too small to complete and maintain such a project.)

There are plans to make http://sagenb.org, http://aleph.sagemath.org
and related web services far more scalable and robust than they
currently are. Such web services are the best current option for
tech-naive MS Windows users.

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics