Jupyter notebook: typeset formulas in pdf-export

Daniel Krenn

Mar 22, 2017, 7:32:10 AM3/22/17
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
In a Jupyter notebook, when I do
File --> Download as --> PDF via LaTeX
then typeset formulas (displayed via show(...) command) are not typeset
anymore, but displayed as their plain text output in the pdf.

Is this a problem of our SageMath-LaTeX typesetting or a problem of the
jupyter notebook?

Best

Daniel

Eric Gourgoulhon

Mar 22, 2017, 8:52:00 AM3/22/17
to sage-devel
Hi,

This is a long standing problem, see e.g. this sage-support post. I have no clue how to fix it, but it would be highly desirable to have a solution in Sage 8.0, when Jupyter is becoming the default notebook.

Best wishes,

Eric.

Nils Bruin

Mar 22, 2017, 3:27:15 PM3/22/17
to sage-devel

I think it's the latter, although perhaps one should blame how we supply our info. By the time you're selecting that option, I think you're just running jupyter-nbconvert, which just works with the ipynb file; there's no kernel/state to query otherwise.

For instance, "show(x^2)" leads to this json fragment:

   "outputs": [
    {
     "data": {
      "text/html": [
      ],
      "text/plain": [
       "x^2"
      ]
     },
     "metadata": {},
     "output_type": "display_data"
    }
   ],
   "source": [
    "show(x^2)"
   ]

As you can see, the output is available in two representations: text/plain and text/html. It doesn't surprise me that ipynb-to-latex conversion doesn't try to untangle HTML.

The %%latex special inserts a "text/latex" mimetype entry. This does get rendered properly in html in my browser and it makes export->PDF produce an error because "pandoc" is not installed. So this seems to be a route that may make cells more latex-friendly. I don't know what the protocol is exactly, but I suspect our kernel can respond with various mimetypes when reporting back output. Using "text/latex" rather than "text/html" might lead to better results sometimes?

Eric Gourgoulhon

Jun 27, 2017, 10:33:31 AM6/27/17
to sage-devel
Hi,

As Jupyter is becoming the default notebook in Sage 8.0, I guess it would be nice to fix this, otherwise many users could be quite disappointed when getting such a bad pdf export of their notebooks.
I've opened the ticket
https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/23330
although I've no clue how to proceed. According to Nils' explanation, this could be on the Jupyter side...

kcrisman

Jun 28, 2017, 8:06:16 AM6/28/17
to sage-devel

As Jupyter is becoming the default notebook in Sage 8.0,

Though as Jeroen points out, technically the default is the export functionality from sagenb to Jupyter ...