Error building Sage (error installing package ecm-7.0.4.p0)

Sho Takemori

Jul 2, 2017, 2:14:08 PM7/2/17
to sage-devel
Dear all,

I use Amazon EC2 instance(c4.xlarge, OS: Ubuntu server 16.04) for building Sage. Inside EC2 instance, I use docker with this Dockerfile (https://github.com/stakemori/sage-docker-build/blob/master/Dockerfile). Inside the docker container, OS is Ubuntu 17.04. Also I use binary-pkg for building (branch is develop). Building Sage fails since building ecm-7.0.4.p0 fails. Attached file is the log file. Oddly enough, if I download ecm-7.0.4.tar.gz and compile it inside the docker container, then compiling ecm-7.0.4 succeeds. Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Sho Takemori

ecm-7.0.4.p0.log

Erik Bray

Jul 3, 2017, 8:34:12 AM7/3/17
to sage-devel
I don't have an immediate explanation coming to mind for this failure,
but I would have to ask what you're trying to achieve with respect to
this Dockerfile. Have you already had a look at the semi-official
docker images I'm maintaining at
https://github.com/sagemath/docker-images, and is there something
you're trying to achieve that's different from what they do? Either
way, perhaps it would make more sense to combine efforts than to
duplicate them. One difference with your build I see is that you're
trying to build sage using the binary-pkg build, which I'm not doing.
But the Sage installation set up by the Dockerfiles I'm maintaining is
working in general (though I'm still having problems with the patchbot
image that I'm trying to work out...)

Best,
Erik

Sho Takemori

Jul 3, 2017, 8:58:32 AM7/3/17
to sage-devel
If I understand correctly, the purpose of sagemath/dockerimages is to run Sage inside a docker container and my purpose is to build Sage inside a docker container. I just would like a latest Sage tarball for Ubuntu 17.04 to use on my laptop (and I don't want to build Sage on my laptop). I don't expect someone else use https://github.com/stakemori/sage-docker-build. I published it just because it is easy to pull from EC2 instance.
And thank you for letting me know sagemath/dockerimages. If I cannot solve this issue, I will try it.