Sage 8.8 on conda-forge

Isuru Fernando

Jul 1, 2019, 3:43:48 PM7/1/19
to sage-devel
sage 8.8 is on conda-forge now. Packages are built for linux-64 and osx-64 for python 2.7, 3.6 and 3.7

You can do,

conda create -n sage sage python=3.7 -c conda-forge

to install sage.

There were 7 patches to build sage. (trac tickets 25786, 26932, 28007, 28014, 28038, 28083, 28086).
With the 7 patches above, on linux-64 python 2.7, there were 27 doctest failures. Any help in fixing them (and also with 25786) is appreciated.

Thanks to Erik, James, Julian, Luca, Nicolas, Philip, Samuel, Sebastian and Vincent for creating PRs and issues to conda-forge and for all the helpful discussions during Sage Days 101.

Isuru

Vincent Delecroix

Jul 1, 2019, 5:15:51 PM7/1/19
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks Isuru for your hard work on this! It will be very helpful
for continuous integration testing (among other things).

I strongly hope that later versions of Sage will also be available
in conda-forge. Do you have an idea to handle the upgrades smoothly?
Is there something that we could do on the "Sage side" to make
it easier.

Vincent

Isuru Fernando

Jul 1, 2019, 5:43:51 PM7/1/19
to sage-devel
On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 4:15 PM Vincent Delecroix <20100.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
Many thanks Isuru for your hard work on this! It will be very helpful
for continuous integration testing (among other things).

I strongly hope that later versions of Sage will also be available
in conda-forge. Do you have an idea to handle the upgrades smoothly?
Is there something that we could do on the "Sage side" to make
it easier.

Recently, I've seen more and more patches being sent upstream and getting merged which makes the packaging much easier. So, keep up the good work of upstreaming patches and also keeping dependencies up-to-date. conda-forge has recent versions and when sage lags behind, it makes it harder. For eg: sage is not ready for Singular 4.1.2 (https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/25993) and I had to build 4.1.1 and dependencies like pynac with it. On this note, a review of https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/26932 would be appreciated as well)

Another way to ease packaging is to set up a patchbot that would test on a sage installation without the sources (i.e. on sage the library instead of sage the distribution) and make the tests pass.

Isuru

Vincent

Le 01/07/2019 à 21:43, Isuru Fernando a écrit :
> sage 8.8 is on conda-forge now. Packages are built for linux-64 and osx-64
> for python 2.7, 3.6 and 3.7
>
> You can do,
>
> conda create -n sage sage python=3.7 -c conda-forge
>
> to install sage.
>
> There were 7 patches to build sage. (trac tickets 25786, 26932, 28007,
> 28014, 28038, 28083, 28086).
> With the 7 patches above, on linux-64 python 2.7, there were 27 doctest
> failures. Any help in fixing them (and also with 25786) is appreciated.
>
> Full doctest log:
> https://k8s.sagemath.org/projects/3ae7bec7-0b36-47fd-9e01-c1fda619cf35/files/conda-sagelib-tests/sagemath/doctest.txt
>
> Thanks to Erik, James, Julian, Luca, Nicolas, Philip, Samuel, Sebastian and
> Vincent for creating PRs and issues to conda-forge and for all the helpful
> discussions during Sage Days 101.
>
> Isuru

Frédéric Chapoton

Jul 2, 2019, 3:34:52 AM7/2/19
to sage-devel
Even if you are testing py2-sage, the doctest failure in

src/sage/tests/py3_syntax.py

is caused by the provided version of python3 being < 3.6.3, where sage is using 3.7.3.

Frederic