sage-6.5.1?

Vincent Delecroix

Feb 20, 2015, 10:10:59 AM2/20/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

We do have two very serious critical bug with the new version 6.5, namely
* #17806 (MPIR compilation)
* #17816 (flint polynomial gcd)
The first one is waiting for a fix while the second is in positive
review. Both bugs are worth for a new stable release. What do you
think of having a sage-6.5.1 as soon as #17806 is done?

Vincent

John Cremona

Feb 20, 2015, 10:29:38 AM2/20/15
to SAGE devel
On 20 February 2015 at 15:10, Vincent Delecroix
+1

especially if #17806 can be fixed -- I would have said +1 even for #17816.

John

> Vincent

Jean-Pierre Flori

Feb 20, 2015, 10:48:00 AM2/20/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com

<20100.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We do have two very serious critical bug with the new version 6.5, namely
>  * #17806 (MPIR compilation)
>  * #17816 (flint polynomial gcd)
> The first one is waiting for a fix while the second is in positive
> review. Both bugs are worth for a new stable release. What do you
> think of having a sage-6.5.1 as soon as #17806 is done?
Is #17806 so urgent?

Thierry

Feb 20, 2015, 11:09:16 AM2/20/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 07:47:59AM -0800, Jean-Pierre Flori wrote:

> On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 4:29:38 PM UTC+1, John Cremona wrote:
> >
> > On 20 February 2015 at 15:10, Vincent Delecroix
> > <20100.d...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > We do have two very serious critical bug with the new version 6.5,
> > namely
> > > * #17806 (MPIR compilation)
> > > * #17816 (flint polynomial gcd)
> > > The first one is waiting for a fix while the second is in positive
> > > review. Both bugs are worth for a new stable release. What do you
> > > think of having a sage-6.5.1 as soon as #17806 is done?
> >
> Is #17806 so urgent?

Nothing is urgent, but i need to build fat 32 bits binary for building
Sage Debian Live USB http://sagedebianlive.metelu.net/ This is currently
the only way to spread Sage in places where huge download is impossible.

Also, when we went in Senegal with Vincent in October, we noticed that
most poeple in universities are running Ubuntu, but with various versions
and both architectures. Unfortunately, the PPA offers only a few of them
and there were quite a few people unable to install Sage without having to
compile it themselves (which means : not having Sage until you meet some
developper).

Hence, i worked recently on building all possible (32,64 x
precise,trusty,utopic) binaries for Ubuntu in a row (and Debian while i am
at it), so that AIMS could offer PPA's for everyone.

Ciao,
Thierry

Jan Groenewald

Feb 20, 2015, 11:15:27 AM2/20/15
to sage-devel
Thanks,

I am maintaining the PPA and keeping an eye on this. We also plan to add 32bit over the next month or three, though our focus is on LTS.

Regards,
Jan

--
  .~.
  /V\     Jan Groenewald

Jan Groenewald

Feb 21, 2015, 7:55:08 AM2/21/15
to sage-devel
Hi

I have now deleted the quantal/raring/saucy (they are all End of Life already) on the PPA (to make space, the usual size of a PPA is 2G, mine has been increased and status is now 4.3 GiB (27.05%) of 16.0 GiB) after the changes below. I'm suprised those were not deleted automatically.

I requested a copy in the PPA of the existing trusty 14.04 binary to utopic 14.10, so that (64bit only) will be available on utopic, and hopefully work (the quantal/raring/saucy were copied from precise and never gave problems). It should be available in a few hours. Such binary copies may also possibly NOT count towards my PPA size allocation.

The PPA now has 64bit for precise, trusty, utopic.

32bit is a work in progress (I mean to add buildbot slaves for LTS 32bit and 64 bit in the next month or three, and to repackage them for the PPA)

While we (www.aims.ac.za) will mainly want to support LTS, and can copy binaries to other releases, if there are actual builds for in-between non-LTS releases available for download on sagemath.org, I might have the time or give someone access to upload them to the PPA.

Regards,
Jan

Jan Groenewald

Feb 21, 2015, 1:24:45 PM2/21/15
to sage-devel
I would appreciate any feedback on how well or not well the 14.04 trusty binary works on 14.10 utopic.

Regards,
Jan