HEAVY METAL HACKERZ - 2012 **** First Class Prep Notes ****

kc koellein

Oct 3, 2012, 2:57:35 PM10/3/12
to 10BitWorks on behalf of KC
HELLO HACKERZ!!!

Heavy Metal Hackerz Tour 2012 kicks off in TWO WEEKS!!! It's time for all you amateur non-metal workers, to get your crash course in amateur metal working!

SUNDAY OCTOBER 14th @ 1PM

10bitworks Hackerspace
1020 Roosevelt
SATX

Now, the first class is all about what's out there in the metal working arena for the home hobbyist, and this will include safety gear, welding equipment, home machine-shop tools, exchange of wisdom-through-wallet on what-not-to buy, plus an opportunity for Q&A about what you might wish to purchase, how to get it cheap, and how soon to get it in order to make the most of the remaining (5) workshops.

The primary piece of safety equipment that you really should bring to the first class if you wish to fully observe is a simple pair of gas welding goggles.

This kit at Home Depot is decent, you will use everything in it in any of the welding technique, but you can get the parts cheaper at Harbor Freight.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100672832/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=goggle&storeId=10051#.UGxkQK7F3hU

Harbor Freight has a PAIR of pairs of welding/cutting goggles for around $5...
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-welding-goggles-set-35711.html

If you DO NOT bring goggles, I have a few pair to loan. You MAY have to wait your turn to borrow them, but you absolutely can expect to be able to borrow them if you are strapped for money right now or just unsure of getting into the hobby.

I have a basic welding helmet ($20-50), an automatic welding helmet($50-400), several pairs of goggles($5-30), and numerous types of gloves and all sorts of hand-tools for show and tell and tryout.

We will discuss and "show and tell" all the rest of the myriad of equipment options at this first class. YOU REALLY CAN'T AFFORD TO MISS THE FIRST CLASS UNLESS YOU HAVE AN UNCLE WHO WELDS AND WILL TEACH YOU, IN WHICH CASE, WHY COME?!?! THE FIRST CLASS WILL COVER 90% OF THE COURSES PURPOSE --- Just breaking the ice between hobbyists and metalworking!

If fact, I'll mention now, if you can free up about $500, you can get a full welding setup for amateur hacking in one of the various techniques. This includes gas welding, wire-feed welding, or electric arc. When you leave on Oct 14th, I hope to have you ready to purchase something and get started between classes!!

You should NOT expect to weld anything during the first class. However, you WILL need jeans without holes in them, closed-toe leather shoes, long sleeves of cotton or leather, and leather gloves, in the coming weeks. You may wish to begin sourcing these now! There are leather aprons and jackets at Northern Tool or any welding shop for as low as $50... but usually more. Try the thrift stores. I have an awesome brushed leather/suede Kenneth Cole shirt I wear for welding. You can find stuff like that at any of the thrift stores and it will serve you WELL!

OK, that's it for now. Reply to this email if you have any additional questions, and I will otherwise, see you at the Hackerspace in a couple of weeks!

--

kc
KF5QVL

- When dealing with the dishonest, BE dishonest. Honestly, this is the best policy.

Chris Hardee

Oct 3, 2012, 3:01:36 PM10/3/12
to 10BitWorks on behalf of kc
Nothing to add just can't wait and thanks again for doing this! :)
> --

Chris Hardee
10BitWorks
San Antonio Hackerspace
10bit...@gmail.com
http://10bitworks.com/

Fredrik Safstrom

Oct 3, 2012, 3:12:54 PM10/3/12
to sa-hack...@googlegroups.com
Howdy...

What's the price for the actual class ?

Is this for members only ?
The reason I'm asking is that a couple of kids from the robotics team is interested.
Can Caroline from our BoyScout Robotics Explorer post contact someone at Hackerspace directly ?

/Fredrik

kc.ko...@gmail.com

Oct 3, 2012, 3:28:38 PM10/3/12
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Fredrik Safstrom (Mentor)
$0. Only thing is to be sure to contain their exuberance. But the boys I met at the XCSSA meeting seemed like very smart fellas!

Technically, they can borrow absolutely everything from me. I plan an hour of class and 3 hours of taking turns at practical ap. I can only watch so many people at once, I only have so much equipment, etc. But that format I really think will work well.

THIS IS AN AMATEUR CLASS. BY AMATEURS, FOR AMATEURS.

If you bring a pro-weldor, I'd bet he'd shoot all sorts of holes in my techniques. But I'll be going slow, keeping it cheap, and steering people clear of the mistakes I've made so far... Such as buying TOO cheap!

I will have metal and consumables to support a class taking turns welding samples to get their feel for it. Along with plenty of time for watching each other, discussing, and taking another go at it with what you've seen others do.

That said, be mindful of the safety clothing listed. I'm not loaning jeans or leather shoes! I encourage all to purchase the book that's sold at Depot and Lowe's for about $15, "The Welder's Handbook" by Richard Finch, that will be the basis for most of my instruction, and just generally start thinking about how much you can save... I will help lay out plans for welding setups that will cost less than $500 for everything you need.

Also, a note to all... Bring a folding chair if you have one. We'll be hanging out for a while in an area with both shade and sun available, but nothing to sit on for the long stretches.

Keep the questions coming.

kc
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

From: "10BitWorks on behalf of Fredrik Safstrom (Mentor)" <sa-hack...@googlegroups.com>
Sender: "10BitWorks on behalf of Fredrik Safstrom (Mentor)" <sa-hack...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 14:12:54 -0500
Subject: Re: [10BitWorks] HEAVY METAL HACKERZ - 2012 **** First Class Prep Notes ****

mike perez

Oct 3, 2012, 5:24:03 PM10/3/12
to 10BitWorks on behalf of kc
Please print, sign, and bring these with you to the soldering classes,
thanks! :)

http://10bitworks.com/Release.of.Liability.pdf
-m.a. perez
KF5QVO