Update on my Kinect Jmonkey Project

Greg Bluntzer

Oct 1, 2012, 10:33:42 PM10/1/12
to sa-hackerspace

Jeremy Z

Oct 1, 2012, 10:35:45 PM10/1/12
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Greg Bluntzer
Neat!

Chris Hardee

Oct 1, 2012, 11:51:52 PM10/1/12
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Greg Bluntzer
Great job man!
> --

Chris Hardee
10BitWorks
San Antonio Hackerspace
10bit...@gmail.com
http://10bitworks.com/

Matt Grooms @ Gmail

Oct 2, 2012, 1:21:23 AM10/2/12
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Greg Bluntzer

Far out Greg.

Sorry, not a SW guy, have questions.

1)      Why is the video mirror imaged?

2)      The blender skeleton gets smaller as you approach the camera. I assume it gets larger the farther you are from the camera as well? This would suggest a Goldilocks spot “X” feet from the camera where the skeleton sizing is optimum. Was this a design goal or just a side effect?

3)      What’s next?

Grimey

No virus found in this message.

Greg Bluntzer

Oct 2, 2012, 5:16:19 PM10/2/12
to 10BitWorks on behalf of grimey
Its Mirrored so that when the user waves his hand it will be like looking in a mirror.

The blender skeleton stays the same size. It just looks that way since I move toward the camera and take up more space.

I have one more Idea that I want code. Then I want to be done with it :)

-Greg

Craig

Oct 2, 2012, 6:22:41 PM10/2/12
to Hackerspace San Antonio
> grimey Oct 02 12:21AM -0500
> Sorry, not a SW guy, have questions.
If I knew the address, would suggest where to 'git' answers. :)
Ah, oh well, there's always the group news.

> 3) What's next?
Interactive (2D) Holograms!
From XCSSA "2010 - Space Odessy - 'the reality' ",
perhaps a DIY holo-screen? http://dvice.com/archives/2012/07/homemade-holode.php
Or a simulated 3D via 2 screens placed perpendicular on the x plane &&
one end ajoining the other! (90 degree V formation)

Perhaps some additional hardware in order to be able to ramp up
the video quality/processing via some tera flop models (these are a few years
out of date -- so, should be less than $16k :)
http://gizmodo.com/5426239/the-most-powerful-desktop-pc+sized-supercomputer
http://news.softpedia.com/news/ASUS-Launches-Its-First-Supercomputer-Packed-with-NVIDIA-Graphics-125342.shtml

Ok, maybe start out with something simpiler like
a touchable/Feelable hologram :http://www.physorg.com/news168797748.html
or perhaps just a simple minority report style hand gesture
interfacable/Feelable hologram
http://blog.makezine.com/2010/12/08/kinect-hand-detection-minority-repo/
http://blog.makezine.com/2010/11/29/minority-report-style-web-surfing-w/
http://www.technewsdaily.com/2362-kinect-google-motion-inbox.html
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2010/12/26/best-of-microsoft-kinect-hacks.aspx
http://www.whatsthelatest.net/computer/gesture-interface-computer-gspeak/
https://www.geek.com/articles/games/kinect-hack-simulates-minority-report-hand-gesture-interface-20101130/

VR Motion surface approaches would still keep members in shape:
http://www.cyberwalk-project.org/index.php?action=showsite&id=234
http://www.gizmag.com/go/5811/
full body emersion : http://www.gizmag.com/go/4833/

I suppose the group could put together a hall-o-10bitworks for a
simulated expansion of the space. The simulated space could contain
various areas such as the radio archive;
an "interactive" area where a real-time (or near real-time) 3d
scan/standard video
can be used to view a project; and/or member "virtual" project areas.
The above certainly could make use of the portable radio stations (one
per member
house hold) to provide suitable video links -- line of site not withstanding.
Per title, the above would allow one to 'monkey' around/about while
still getting
work done.

Craig

Chris Hardee

Oct 2, 2012, 6:38:12 PM10/2/12
to 10BitWorks on behalf of Greg Bluntzer
so like you should grab the raw depth map image from the kinect and
like use it as a per-pixel shadowmap of your character overlayed on a
3d scene. So you can like see yourself as a shadow of a 3d character.
Sounds awesome right? Get to work on this then, I want it done by
sundown :D

Craig

Oct 4, 2012, 10:20:45 PM10/4/12
to Hackerspace San Antonio
Hah,
Guess having a interface for common user interaction (icu-i) would be helpful...
e.g.
From the README file at
https://github.com/raedle/Squidy/blob/15e8d25b381b72fd40abfbe5119f62145c2339fe/README
:
<README>
###### Squidy IS A RESEARCH PROJECT ######

Squidy is an open-source interaction library that unifies various
device drivers and toolkits by integrating those in a homogeneous
design environment. The project was initiated at the Human-Computer
Interaction Group at the University of Konstanz and published under
the LGPLv3 open-source license. Please consider that Squidy is a
prototype and not mentioned to be a product. If you have any questions
concerning Squidy, the source code, Squidy runtime, etc. feel free to
contact the authors e.g. [Roman (dot) Raedle (at) uni-konstanz (dot)
de]. We will try our best to help solving your problems.
</README>

I'm assuming that the end result would allow for the "skeleton"
program to be used with
the "finger" program (
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/429426/meet-the-nimble-fingered-interface-of-the-future/
); perhaps even in a manner akin to browser plugins!

Craig

Craig

Oct 5, 2012, 9:50:44 PM10/5/12
to Hackerspace San Antonio
> Greg Bluntzer Oct 02 04:16PM -0500
> I have one more Idea that I want code. Then I want to be done with it :)
<humor>
Ok, geek test question time.
There are more than 10 sub-bits that need to be coded right?
</humor>

Craig