NuGets for C++

Klaim - Joël Lamotte

Apr 27, 2013, 6:00:51 PM4/27/13
to rypp...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I just saw this news and I think it might be good to know: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2013/04/26/nuget-for-c.aspx

I'm only guessing here but I think it's not cross platform so obviously it's not a real rival ot Ryppl but maybe there are information about this that might be useful to Ryppl devs.

Thanks for your work.

Joel Lamotte

Jarrad Waterloo

May 6, 2013, 10:13:05 AM5/6/13
to rypp...@googlegroups.com, Klaim - Joël Lamotte
On 4/27/2013 6:00 PM, Klaim - Jo�l Lamotte wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just saw this news and I think it might be good to know:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2013/04/26/nuget-for-c.aspx
>
> I'm only guessing here but I think it's not cross platform so
> obviously it's not a real rival ot Ryppl but maybe there are
> information about this that might be useful to Ryppl devs.

Funny thing is, it is a real rival cause it is the only one that is
real; as in, it is documented. Could someone who knows RYPPL please
provide an example/tutorial, preferably on a Windows machine, of how to
install and use it to create and manage one's own packages. Preferably a
four project, one solution example where executable project A depends on
dll, shared library, projects B and C which both depend upon dll project
D. At least CoApp/NuGET has "tutorials, reference documentation, and a
video on how to use the tools to create NuGet packages".

Dave Abrahams

May 6, 2013, 10:41:37 AM5/6/13
to Jarrad Waterloo, rypp...@googlegroups.com, Klaim - Joël Lamotte

on Mon May 06 2013, Jarrad Waterloo <jwaterloo-AT-dynamicquest.com> wrote:
We're not there yet. Ryppl is still very much in development. If you
want a real system that works and is documented, I suggest
http://www.0install.net

We plan to use that as the basis for much of Ryppl anyway, and they're
adding more and more features that will make Ryppl smaller. If they put
the Ryppl project out of business completely, I'll be very happy, but
for now at least, we still have some goals that they don't address
directly.

--
Dave Abrahams

Joe Wood

May 9, 2013, 11:57:23 AM5/9/13
to rypp...@googlegroups.com, Jarrad Waterloo, Klaim - Joël Lamotte
Personally, I would love to see the Nuget and CoApp teams join efforts with Ryppl and provide a cross platform solution.  Linux support looks like it's on the radar for C++Nuget and CoApp- https://github.com/coapp/coapp/issues/46
The package specification is a little Windows centric, but I'm sure it could be modified: http://docs.nuget.org/docs/reference/nuspec-reference
Removing any powershell dependencies and integrating with GitHub and other source control systems would also be necessary and hugely beneficial.

Joe Wood

Dave Abrahams

May 10, 2013, 12:02:27 PM5/10/13
On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Joe Wood <joe...@live.com> wrote:
Personally, I would love to see the Nuget and CoApp teams join efforts with Ryppl and provide a cross platform solution.  Linux support looks like it's on the radar for C++Nuget and CoApp- https://github.com/coapp/coapp/issues/46

Hmmm… http://coapp.org sez:  "The goal of the CoApp project is to create a community of developers dedicated to creating a set of tools and processes that enable other open source developers to create and maintain their open source products with Windows as a primary build target."

This goal is in conflict with one of Ryppl's (perhaps unstated) goals: to not have a "primary target."

The package specification is a little Windows centric, but I'm sure it could be modified: http://docs.nuget.org/docs/reference/nuspec-reference

But windows-centricity seems to be an explicit goal of that project.

Removing any powershell dependencies and integrating with GitHub and other source control systems would also be necessary and hugely beneficial.

What are you suggesting should actually happen next?  If you are interested in some kind of "joining efforts" I think you should be the one to lay out the vision and get the parties on board.

--
Dave Abrahams

Thomas Leonard

May 10, 2013, 12:52:49 PM5/10/13
to rypp...@googlegroups.com, Jarrad Waterloo, Klaim - Joël Lamotte

Even in that case, I think it would be useful to have some C++ specific documentation. i.e. "This is how we recommend you use 0install to publish your C++ project". I think the 0install.net documentation is a bit too general for a new user to work out how to use it for this easily.

Joseph Lisee

May 15, 2013, 9:16:29 AM5/15/13
On Friday, May 10, 2013 12:52:49 PM UTC-4, Thomas Leonard wrote:

Even in that case, I think it would be useful to have some C++ specific documentation. i.e. "This is how we recommend you use 0install to publish your C++ project". I think the 0install.net documentation is a bit too general for a new user to work out how to use it for this easily.

I think there is a strong need for this as well.  Just look at the Homebrew documentation:

http://mxcl.github.io/homebrew/

That single webpage tells me all I would need to do to: install homebrew, install packages, and make my own packages.  The Python, Node, Ruby and other language package management system have a similar ease of use levels.

The reason for this?  Those were designed from the start for developers.  0install (it's even in the name!) was designed to allow easy user installation of software. I have been watching the 0install and it appears things have improved a little with 2.0, but if the workflows and tools are not well documented, it's like they don't exist.

-Joe L.

Klaim - Joël Lamotte

May 22, 2013, 3:21:22 PM5/22/13
to rypp...@googlegroups.com
In case any of you have enough time to watch it there have been published today a deep interview of a NuGets c++ implementor which gives
some details about how it works: http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/C9-GoingNative/GoingNative-16-Garrett-Serak-Inside-NuGet-for-C

I suppose it's data already available but it might be interesting to watch.

Joel Lamotte

Klaim - Joël Lamotte

May 22, 2013, 3:34:49 PM5/22/13
to rypp...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 9:21 PM, Klaim - Joël Lamotte <mjk...@gmail.com> wrote:
In case any of you have enough time to watch it there have been published today a deep interview of a NuGets c++ implementor which gives
some details about how it works: http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/C9-GoingNative/GoingNative-16-Garrett-Serak-Inside-NuGet-for-C

The developer makes a comment about boost being scary, the ultimate challenge. I guess if you manage to make it work with boost... it works for anything.

Joel Lamotte

Sergey Shandar

Apr 29, 2014, 12:36:46 PM4/29/14
to rypp...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, 22 May 2013 12:34:49 UTC-7, Klaim wrote:

The developer makes a comment about boost being scary, the ultimate challenge. I guess if you manage to make it work with boost... it works for anything.

Joel Lamotte

Nuget works for Boost: https://getboost.codeplex.com/releases/. And CoApp is not required.

Best regards,
Sergey Shandar.