help needed!

Tim FC

May 11, 2018, 1:24:43 PM5/11/18
to rume...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We got tired of having students buy a $140 textbook which was basically only used to get access to the online homework system (for College Algebra)...  So, we switched to an OpenStax text and Webwork for this past year and it was fine.

But, I'm having some difficulty getting Webwork to pass muster with our tech people so that I can continue using the service.

Are there other no- to low-cost options that make sense and who will certify things like, "we have insurance for and take responsibility for data breaches"?

Thanks!
Tim

Bubp, Kelly

May 11, 2018, 7:12:52 PM5/11/18
to Tim FC, rume...@googlegroups.com

Hi Tim,

We are experiencing similar problems here.  We just recently found the following, but haven't thoroughly looked into it yet.

https://edfinity.com/about/webwork

Kelly

Kelly Bubp, PhD
Department of Mathematics
Ohio University
554 Morton Hall
bu...@ohio.edu

May 11, 2018, 7:12:52 PM5/11/18
to Tim FC, Mike May, rume...@googlegroups.com, ga...@math.rochester.edu
Tim,

First some comments:
1) We have also had problems with IT wanting things to all be commercial because they think in a corporate setting.  This should be resisted because there are lots of nice things
where open source is simply better than commercial and is clearly designed for academic use.  (Besides Webwork I am starting to experiment with activity builder in Desmos
for warmup activities.  I have used GeoGerba for years.  I use Sage when the course calls for it.)
2) Webwork has the backing of the MAA.  If that is not a good enough guarantee, they are simply not open to open source but won’t admit it.
3) The idea that someone will assume financial responsibility for a free product is once again a backdoor to insisting only commercial products are to be considered.

4) For a number of courses we are looking at web assign from Cengage.  I have been told it is $23 a student without the book.

Mike

David Farmer

May 12, 2018, 3:23:59 PM5/12/18
to Tim FC, rume...@googlegroups.com

Dear Tim,

Are you on the WeBWorK mailing list? This posting is relevant:

http://webwork.maa.org/moodle/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=4407

Regards,

David

Revathi Narasimhan

May 12, 2018, 3:23:59 PM5/12/18
to rume...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,
1. Webassign supports openstax textbooks. Here's the link:

2. I have a College Algebra textbook (w/ online hw) published by XYZ textbooks, a lowcost textbook publisher (they also publish precalc and dev. math texts):

​Reva​

-------------------------
Dr. Revathi Narasimhan
Associate Professor of Mathematics
Kean University, Union, NJ
http://www.kean.edu/~rnarasim

On May 11, 2018, at 8:05 AM, Tim FC <tima...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

We got tired of having students buy a $140 textbook which was basically only used to get access to the online homework system (for College Algebra)...  So, we switched to an OpenStax text and Webwork for this past year and it was fine.

But, I'm having some difficulty getting Webwork to pass muster with our tech people so that I can continue using the service.

Are there other no- to low-cost options that make sense and who will certify things like, "we have insurance for and take responsibility for data breaches"?

Thanks!
Tim

Eyob S Demeke

May 15, 2018, 11:47:57 AM5/15/18
to David Farmer, Tim FC, rume...@googlegroups.com
Knewton.com is another cheap wonderful learning platform that goes nicely with OpenStax.

Eyob

On 5/12/18, 12:24 PM, "rume...@googlegroups.com on behalf of David Farmer" <rume...@googlegroups.com on behalf of far...@aimath.org> wrote:

Dear Tim,

Are you on the WeBWorK mailing list? This posting is relevant:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__webwork.maa.org_moodle_mod_forum_discuss.php-3Fd-3D4407&d=DwIFaQ&c=c6MrceVCY5m5A_KAUkrdoA&r=JXV0VxuVSTxlO29IQB5IGUFJeA6iqiMl2tcpg1ZypPU&m=C8JnB6S_txEwehaCKo3gc2d5pMKA0E7Z8TJ-O6mhUns&s=WUCLgmxFj0J5ESzKFS_l8pjkoz-4z0OoCT1c3i7ZCF0&e=

Regards,

David

On Fri, 11 May 2018, Tim FC wrote:

> Hi all,
> We got tired of having students buy a $140 textbook which was basically only used to get access to the online
> homework system (for College Algebra)... So, we switched to an OpenStax text and Webwork for this past year
> and it was fine.
>
> But, I'm having some difficulty getting Webwork to pass muster with our tech people so that I can continue
> using the service.
>
> Are there other no- to low-cost options that make sense and who will certify things like, "we have insurance
> for and take responsibility for data breaches"?
>
> Thanks!
> Tim

Revathi Narasimhan

May 18, 2018, 12:12:03 AM5/18/18
to frank....@phoenixcollege.edu, rume...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the XYZ homework system is based on iMathAS. Just like WebAssign, they also support openstax books with with a full set of online homework questions.

Reva

-------------------------
Dr. Revathi Narasimhan
Associate Professor of Mathematics
Kean University, Union, NJ
http://www.kean.edu/~rnarasim

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 2:06 PM, Frank Marfai <frank....@phoenixcollege.edu> wrote:
Tim,

A free (or nearly free in the future) OER option is iMathAS, that could be used with OpenStax.

It is similar to Webwork and I believe the XYZ homework system was based on iMathaS.

There are different implementations of it (ie. MathAS, MyOpenMath and WAMAP comes to mind)  but the Maricopa district is in the process of implementation and installation of a version of iMathAS that is secure/vetted.

We are in the process of beginning a consortium.  If this is a solution that interests you, contact me.

Hope this helps.

Frank

eSig Logo
FRANK MARFAI, PH.D.