Also: Looking for talks!

Tobias Pfeiffer

Sep 23, 2015, 4:11:11 AM9/23/15
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

while it seems like we have a backlog of talks - incidentally many
speakers can't make it next week and we are still looking for future
talks :)

Be it for next week already or a bit more in the future... submit your
talk! I know you have some ideas in your head that other would profit
from - give a talk! http://www.rug-b.de/topics/new

We are not limited to only ruby... talks in the past had a wide variety
of topics besides ruby - including other programming languages,
databases, architectures, front end frameworks, social skills, CS topics
(Unicode), file systems, functional programming, type systems...

So yeah a lot of topics :) If you're unsure ask on the mailing list or
write me a personal email and we'll figure something out :)

Also we're a very friendly bunch, adhere to a code of conduct... - a
great place to give your first talk! I know I did - back in 2012 when I
was still very new to the community :)

http://www.rug-b.de/topics/new

Cheers!
Tobi

Arne Brasseur

Sep 23, 2015, 6:21:28 AM9/23/15
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Have we already had an introduction to Clojure? :P

Tobias Pfeiffer

Sep 23, 2015, 6:24:32 AM9/23/15
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Nope, never. Which I think is still weird as quite some of us enjoy clojure :) Never felt like personally I knew Clojure well enough to give a good intro :)

Arne Brasseur

Sep 23, 2015, 6:33:56 AM9/23/15
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Alright. I won't make it this week because of ArrrrCamp, but I'll look at submitting something for the future.

Pierpaolo Frasa

Sep 25, 2015, 11:49:00 AM9/25/15
to ru...@googlegroups.com

There was a very axiomatic introduction to LISP a couple of months ago (@ Infopark), but if you can include more practical stuff on Clojure in your talk, I think it might be a nice followup. :)

Cheers
Pierpaolo

On 23.09.15 12:33, Arne Brasseur wrote:
> Alright. I won't make it this week because of ArrrrCamp, but I'll look at submitting something for the future.
>
> On 23 September 2015 at 12:24, Tobias Pfeiffer <pra...@gmail.com <mailto:pra...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Nope, never. Which I think is still weird as quite some of us enjoy clojure :) Never felt like personally I knew Clojure well enough to give a good intro :)
>

>     On 09/23/2015 12:21 PM, Arne Brasseur wrote:
>>     Have we already had an introduction to Clojure? :P
>>
>>     On 23 September 2015 at 10:11, Tobias Pfeiffer <pra...@gmail.com <mailto:pra...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         Hi everyone,
>>
>>         while it seems like we have a backlog of talks - incidentally many
>>         speakers can't make it next week and we are still looking for future
>>         talks :)
>>
>>         Be it for next week already or a bit more in the future... submit your
>>         talk! I know you have some ideas in your head that other would profit
>>         from - give a talk! http://www.rug-b.de/topics/new
>>
>>         We are not limited to only ruby... talks in the past had a wide variety
>>         of topics besides ruby - including other programming languages,
>>         databases, architectures, front end frameworks, social skills, CS topics
>>         (Unicode), file systems, functional programming, type systems...
>>
>>         So yeah a lot of topics :) If you're unsure ask on the mailing list or
>>         write me a personal email and we'll figure something out :)
>>
>>         Also we're a very friendly bunch, adhere to a code of conduct... - a
>>         great place to give your first talk! I know I did - back in 2012 when I
>>         was still very new to the community :)
>>
>>         http://www.rug-b.de/topics/new
>>
>>         Cheers!
>>         Tobi
>>
>>         --
>>         --

>>     --

>>     --
>>     --

>     --
>     --

> --

> --

Arne Brasseur

Sep 25, 2015, 6:48:03 PM9/25/15
to ru...@googlegroups.com

Yeah I remember that LISP talk, pretty interesting! ;)

For Clojure I wouldn't go too much into syntax, but highlight the main language features, persistent data structures, first class functions, core.async channels. And then demo use on the server, in the browser with Clojurescript, and on android.