Experience using Puma VS Unicorn

Pere Urbón Bayes

Feb 5, 2014, 5:20:45 AM2/5/14
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Good Morning,
  first of all sorry if this might be an off topic question, if this is the thing please accept my excuses and drop this message.

I've nearly always being using Unicorn as my default webserver but recently face in a kind of situation where memory is more scare, so I was doing an evaluation of more memory efficient servers.

This pop me up to Puma, is there anyone with prior experience using Puma?  Is this a good choice when you want to deliver a rack application using less memory by default. Or there is a better option?

Thanks

--
/purbon
- @purbon

Tobias Pfeiffer

Feb 5, 2014, 6:36:48 AM2/5/14
to ru...@googlegroups.com

On 02/05/2014 11:20 AM, Pere Urbón Bayes wrote:
> Good Morning,
> first of all sorry if this might be an off topic question, if this is
> the thing please accept my excuses and drop this message.

I don't think it's off-topic at all - in fact personally I'd like to see
some more discussions here that aren't "just" event invitations and talk
proposals :)

Dunno how the others feel.

Sadly no experience with Puma so far.

Cheers,
Tobi

> I've nearly always being using Unicorn as my default webserver but
> recently face in a kind of situation where memory is more scare, so I
> was doing an evaluation of more memory efficient servers.
>
> This pop me up to Puma, is there anyone with prior experience using
> Puma? Is this a good choice when you want to deliver a rack application
> using less memory by default. Or there is a better option?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> /purbon
> - @purbon
> - http://www.purbon.com
>
> --
> --
>
> ---
> Groups "RUG-B" group.
> an email to rug-b+un...@googlegroups.com.

signature.asc

Tim Bleck

Feb 5, 2014, 11:17:16 AM2/5/14
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pere, we’re using puma on production, especially for our jruby applications which is really nice because its much easier to deploy than using warbler/tomcat or similar solutions. Unfortunately i can’t give any comparison benchmarks as we directly started using puma ;-). See you tomorrow. Best regards, Tim

Tim Lossen

Feb 5, 2014, 11:44:53 AM2/5/14
to ru...@googlegroups.com
yep, same here -- we're using puma for a jruby app. this game backend has been in production for a year now, without any trouble.

in our case, the jvm process is pretty heavy though (~ 8 gig resident memory), so i cannot really comment on low-memory situations.

tim

Thilo Utke

Feb 5, 2014, 11:49:11 AM2/5/14
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Well I haven't used puma either yet, but I belive you can get memory
savings when using puma with JRuby and Rubinius as puma relies on the
ability to work multi-threaded, while unicorn uses worker processes
that all have their own memory with your application code, simply
speaking. Of course you can also run multipe workers with puma but they
are able to serve more requests, because they don't block on IO.

Cheers
Thilo

Pere Urbón Bayes

Feb 18, 2014, 6:58:11 AM2/18/14
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot to all of you,
   first of all sorry for the late answer, been kind of busy last days. I really appreciate the great knowledges into this lovely community ;-). Nowadays I move my services to puma+ngnix and I'm quite happy with it, the only important thing I had to do was to update the jruby version I was using to the last one because of that (https://github.com/jruby/jruby/issues/802), but I think this would happen anyway.

- purbon

Thilo Utke

Feb 18, 2014, 8:12:34 AM2/18/14
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Hi pere,

can you share your learnings? Like did throughput improve? Is memory consumption less or more? CPU utilization? Your feedback would be very helpful.

cheers

Thilo

Pere Urbón Bayes

Feb 18, 2014, 8:13:46 AM2/18/14