Talk proposals November / December

Lukas Rieder

Sep 23, 2016, 10:54:12 AM9/23/16
to ru...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

during this year I fought some new adventures and doing so found that two topics might pose interesting talks for this community.

I can give them in the foreseeable future at the November and December meeting.

Please give some feedback or +1 if think these topics might be of interest to you:

1) Hosting a custom built, elastic, self-healing, somewhat-highly available Docker environment on AWS
A couple of virtual instances, a bunch of containers, many processes and one single engineer (me, hehe) doing it all.
I can talk about the great wins and deep pitfalls of managing such an infrastructure. Ruby plays an essential role and helps in automation and tooling. Trigger warning: This talk might contain Buzzwords.

2) Constraint programming in Ruby
How to solve restaurant table reservation problems fast and efficiently, or any logic based puzzle you can image.
At the core of Ruby you can use call continuations, and you can build miraculous applications with these. I will tell you a story and show you the Ruby side of this along the way. Also this is a fading Ruby feature, thus grab it as long it is available ;)

And what is the common length of talks you host nowadays? Both of the above talks could be heyho 20min upto deep dive 40min.

Kind regards,

Lukas

P.s.: If I am very lucky and find some time to prepare maybe even at the next meetup in October. (I know by next week)

Tobias Pfeiffer

Sep 24, 2016, 5:11:32 AM9/24/16
to ru...@googlegroups.com

Hey Lukas,

both talks sound interesting to me. Although I lean more towards Constraint programming.

Talk length is still at 20 minutes+-.

the talk pipeline is also somewhat full (October is taken) - right now there are 6 proposals in the pipeline + 2 mentioned to me long time ago in person just not submitted yet. Thank you all for submitting talks :)

Tobi

http://www.pragtob.info/